Big six manifold studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Big six manifold studs

Ok I realize the info is probably in here somewhere but before I wade through this sea of information may I ask a simple question. How many studs/nuts hold the intake/exhaust assembly onto the engine? Is it 6 and the end holes in the exhaust are not used? Or is it 8 and the studs have broken off. It sure is smooth where end studs might have been.
    3E14 245 inline 6

Just an FYI, the 245 six cylinder is more correctly called the Commander Six, not the Big Six. Studebaker did have an engine they called the Big Six back in the teens and '20s.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The holes on the very ends are blank. No studs go into the front and rear holes of the Commander six exhaust manifold.

Yes, we have talked about this before on this forum.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Be careful R&R'ing those Studs I found out the Hard way SOME are "WET"!
        I am sure you know what that means, not dead ended, but into a Water Jacket!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well that's great news and I thank you for it.

Comment

I just replaced the manifold gasket on a friend’s Commander 6, and as stated the ends are blank, and if you replace the studs a couple will need sealant as they go into the water jacket as Rich pointed out.

Comment

That's good to know about the wet studs. The studs look to be in good condition. The bigger concern now is the broken corner of the intake manifold where the two manifolds meet.

Comment

Is breakage in this area a common problem?

Comment

Working...
                X