In the Groove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: In the Groove?

There appears to have been some sort of fuzzy stuff in the window frame track (left object in 1st picture), but it was too worn for me to figure. I laid some felt in it and it became very smooth, but when I glued the felt it it was worse. It might be just fine with lube. Any one know what is supposed to be there or have pictures?
    Attached Files

Anti-rattle Window Channels, Fuzz Strips etc. are available at Studebaker Vendors, many have good pictures on their Website of what you need.

This is a "C" Body Coupe correct?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, C body 56 Power Hawk.

Comment

That would be rigid window channel with stainless steel beads. What you have done is pulled the fuzzy and the stainless beads out of the channel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1894401RIGID

The little brackets that screw to the door shell are riveted to the channel.
        There are products some may recommend that can be inserted without actually replacing the channel.
        You can drill out the rivets and, with careful measuring, reattach the brackets to the new channel. That rigid channel comes in a variety of sizes, inside, outside and depth dimensions; but Studebaker vendors know what you need.
        The channel that goes in the top of the door and down the rear of the door shell is very similar, except it is flexible, to fit the rear curve of the door window; also available from our vendors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1894402FLEXIBLE
        Last edited by rockne10; 05-12-2021, 05:10 PM.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rafe, being a CASO i relined my channels as you did. used a thick fabric like wool. after setting fabric into glue i ran a spare riser bar up and down the channel and all is smooth. i have replaced that channel with new but prefer my method. also when using the flexible channel beware of the stainless bead,it will slip off if the cut end is crimped flat! the bead must be allowed to slide when flex channel is bent around glass. leave bead end open! BTDT, Luck Doofus

Comment

I will take note Doofus, I watched several videos and they stressed watching the bead slide out. I will check the fabric shop again for something more sturdy than felt. What glue did you use? Thanks, Rafe

Comment

Rafe, i used the 3M yellow and brushed it on. i folded my material and formed it to the channel first, then with "Yellow Peril" in place laid fuzz in place and unfolded then ran a spare lift frame up and down the channel to push everything in place. Luck Doofus

Comment

A very durable and very inexpensive option is using velcro.
                It works well and doesn't hold moisture and rot and rust.
                I have a couple cars that were done 25 years ago (for less than $5.) and it's still holding up well!
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Be sure you use the super heavy duty exterior Velcro and use the fuzzy side only. I've had good results with it..

Comment

Working...
                  X