Regulator Slide Pins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Regulator Slide Pins.

What fastener is supposed hold the window frame to the regulator pins? 1st picture is pin with no retainer, 2nd is something I put together. But I don't think I could install it that way as it is on the back side and pretty difficult to reach. My car had some type of speed nut-ish thing on it when I disassembled it, I had to knock them off with screwdriver and hammer to get them off because there is so little access.
    It would be nice to put it together first, then drop windows, frame, and regulators in door all at once. But that wouldn't work, would it? I can't imagine doing this stuff with out this forum. Thanks.
    By the way, when I get all the info I want, should I delete my post or keep it up?
    Attached Files

You are on the right trajectory; simply have the wrong clip, and a washer that is possibly too thick; but, if what you have works, ...
    There should be spring tension behind the regulator pin, making re-assembly even more difficult. And, YES! We have all skinned our knuckles taking those apart and putting them together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	clip.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	1893956
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-09-2021, 06:00 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Keep the post up. It will likely help someone else.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I put a thin nylon washer on either side, and then a metal washer. There is still spring movement. But it is close to binding, so I'll use a thinner washer. Any opinions on the nylon washers? Metal to metal seems like a not good idea. But at 65 years, the tracks do not seem to be worn much, so maybe metal/metal is counterintuitively better? Lithium grease, right?
        Thanks for the picture and the skinned knuckles warning. I shall be be patient when I do it.
        Have any of you ever worked on motorcycles? In particular, removing/installing carbs on a Japanese 4 cylinder? The attached pix may also be appropriate for Stude windows.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
          Lithium grease, right?
          It's what I've always used. I'm sure there are other products that work as well. The lithium has been around for a long time, and advancements are always being made in lubricants; but lubrication has always been the key to keeping these working as smoothly as they did when new; and lack of it the cause of much expense and foul language.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

On replacement regulators I have installed, the instructions specifically say do NOT use lithium grease. The reason being it does not stay put, once it gets wiped by the sliding action, it's only a very thin layer that dries out quickly. That no longer provides any lubrication. Nu-Relics suggests a good chassis grease.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X