No announcement yet.

advice wanted '52 Commander Hardtop window regulator adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: advice wanted '52 Commander Hardtop window regulator adjustments

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the passenger side roll up window to be level with the body so it seals at the top. Whatever I have tried to do has not been fruitful. When the window is all the way up it slopes down 1/2" from the vent widow rearwards to where it meets the quarter window. There is also no way to adjust the fit by tilting the vent widow frame that also serves as the front track as it lines up with the A pillar like it should. The door gaps are satisfactorily as well.I don't get stumped often but this has beat me to death trying to figure it out. I have a 1951 shop manual but it does not have a body section, if it did I could use the instructions for a convertible since those should be the same. As far as I have been able to find there is no such thing as a body repair manual that covers 1952 or any other prior year convertible, since the window layout would be the same as a hardtop, that would en-lighting me. Thanks!
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 05-09-2021, 11:35 AM.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Usually there are two arms off the main mounting bracket. One is attached to the main moon gear. The other attaches to a pivot shoulder bolt . That should be a slotted hole where it attaches. That adjusts the tilt.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Usually there are two arms off the main mounting bracket. One is attached to the main moon gear. The other attaches to a pivot shoulder bolt . That should be a slotted hole where it attaches. That adjusts the tilt.
      Before I quit working on it yesterday I finally figured out that this had to be where the adjustment was made, Brad. Problem is that when I loosen the nut and try to move the shoulder bolt it won't move. I can see it is slotted. I have soaked it in PB Blaster and will try again later. I think I may have to grab a hold of the arm inside the door and adjust it that way. Thanks Brad!
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 05-09-2021, 03:25 PM.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I'm not quite sure what is going on without pictures. But my 56 P-Hawk has an arm with two pins. One of my arms was bent. Perhaps yours is too? See picture. The arm is noted with red arrow. Blue arrow is not the arm.

"I used to procrastinate a lot. But I don't even get around to that anymore." Abraham Lincoln
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
          I'm not quite sure what is going on without pictures. But my 56 P-Hawk has an arm with two pins. One of my arms was bent. Perhaps yours is too? See picture. The arm is noted with red arrow. Blue arrow is not the arm.

"I used to procrastinate a lot. But I don't even get around to that anymore." Abraham Lincoln
          Thanks, I will check on that as well.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            I have a 1951 shop manual but it does not have a body section, if it did I could use the instructions for a convertible since those should be the same. As far as I have been able to find there is no such thing as a body repair manual that covers 1952 or any other prior year convertible, since the window layout would be the same as a hardtop, that would en-lighting me. Thanks!
            My '51 Shop Manual does have a Body Section (first section of the book).
            As well, at the very back is a supplement section that covers the '52 models that should also apply to the convertibles and hardtop door windows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	body.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1893953

Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sadly the manual isn't very descriptive. Here are images of the paragraph and figure.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Door window inst.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1893962 Click image for larger version

Name:	door window pic.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1893963

Comment

Service Bulletin 266, Aug. '52, has 12 pages on the '52 hardtop covering glass and body adjustments, dust and water leaks.
                Just happens to be one on feebay right now (not mine).
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/38293787934...QAAOSwC8ZcwbrU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321370057500?hash=item4ad325eb1c:g:~OEAAOxyTMdTPao1
                (this one)
                D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

If I remember right, the pivot shoulder bolt has a flat on it where it goes through the slot. It can twist, and cock so it stick in the slot, often you can ease the adjustment by grabbing the top of the bolt and twisting it slightly.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is all very helpful, thanks guys. I will get back to the problem in a couple of days. Will check back in when I correct the problem. Stay tuned.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I found some time (3 hours) to work on the window today and once again tried to move bolt #9 shown in figure 10, post #6. After much tugging, prying and pulling it finally moved to the end of the slot which was only about 1/4 of an inch but not until I loosened the vent window frame first. The window is now within 1/8th of being level, not perfect, but OK. In order to level it more the slot would have to be elongated so the bolt and its attached regulator arm can move a little more. The fact that I see evidence that this window has been messed with in the past leads me to believe that I should just be satisfied with it the way it is. Thanks for every ones contributions, they were very helpful.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                      X