Type of Tachometer for 1963 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Type of Tachometer for 1963 GT Hawk

My tachometer (not currently working) face has a "redline" with red numbers/dashes from 5000-6000 RPM.

According to Ray-Lin Restorations, this isn't the stock tachometer with the square sending unit, but rather the tachometer used on "R" series cars, with the round canister sending unit.

But my car is just a regular old Hawk, not an "R" series.

How did this come to be?

Is it just an "R" series face on a stock tach, or an actual "R" series tach?

Is there a visual way to identify if the sending unit is square or round?

Love this car but having to figure out a lot of oddities!

My '64 R1 Hawk has such a tach, with red markings from 5000 to 6000 RPM. AFAIK these tachs were used only on '64 Hawks with an Avanti engine. Someone may correct me and state that they were used on late '63 Avanti-powered Hawks, but I have an early '63 R2 Hawk and there is no red on its tach's face. The sender on my '64 is round and mounted under the dash (vertically) between the steering column and the left kick panel. You can look up under the dash and see it. It is a gold color. A round sender is required for this type of tach.

How your tach got into your car is anyone's guess. Most likely, I guess, after manufacture. I assume that your tach is of the same style as your speedometer?

Hopefully, you have a round sender. The original senders often fail. A replacement circuit board for the sending unit is available that is more reliable.

-Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 05-08-2021, 06:05 AM.

Comment

I’m pretty sure but not totally sure that red line tachs were standard on all Avanti powered Larks and Hawks in 63 and 64.. all my 63 Larks and Hawks have red line tachs but they are all late production package cars.

Comment

Speaking of tachs - most I've seen have one dash bulb. The one in my '64 GT has 2 bulbs. Any ideas as to why or when changes were made?
        Rob in PA.

Comment

My 63GT R2 (Canadian Production) has the Red lines 5k to 6 k - I have not had a chance to check the sending unit
          My spare Tach also has Red lines and it has the square box
          The spare Tach has 765WF11 printed on the back along with SW/Insp/940
          Is this maybe an issue where Canadian Production varies from U.S. production?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
            My '64 R1 Hawk has such a tach, with red markings from 5000 to 6000 RPM. AFAIK these tachs were used only on '64 Hawks with an Avanti engine. Someone may correct me and state that they were used on late '63 Avanti-powered Hawks, but I have an early '63 R2 Hawk and there is no red on its tach's face. The sender on my '64 is round and mounted under the dash (vertically) between the steering column and the left kick panel. You can look up under the dash and see it. It is a gold color. A round sender is required for this type of tach.

How your tach got into your car is anyone's guess. Most likely, I guess, after manufacture. I assume that your tach is of the same style as your speedometer?

Hopefully, you have a round sender. The original senders often fail. A replacement circuit board for the sending unit is available that is more reliable.

-Dwight
            Thanks.
            I would not have known that the sending unit would have been where you said it is!
            Where can I get one of these circuit boards to replace the sending unit?

Comment

Originally posted by rb63gt View Post
              My 63GT R2 (Canadian Production) has the Red lines 5k to 6 k - I have not had a chance to check the sending unit
              My spare Tach also has Red lines and it has the square box
              The spare Tach has 765WF11 printed on the back along with SW/Insp/940
              Is this maybe an issue where Canadian Production varies from U.S. production?
              Could be. It would be interesting to find out what sending unit is on your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Geohawk63 View Post

Thanks.
                I would not have known that the sending unit would have been where you said it is!
                Where can I get one of these circuit boards to replace the sending unit?
                Studebaker International and Stephen Allen's should have them, and maybe others. First, make sure you have the round sender unit.
                -Dwight

Comment

My '63 Hawk R2 parts car, SN 63V-8178, came with an R2 engine (have production order) and it has a 120-MPH speedometer and a non-red-line tach. Who knows whether those are original or not after all this time, but they were in there when I bought it at York about 10 years ago (Nels: You got the Hawk-type mag wheels from this car). It is a fairly early '63 Hawk with the '62 dash and early parking lights, and assembled on 10/15/62. See attached pix.
                  -Dwight
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 1963 R2 4-spd (2).JPG
Views:	109
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1893892 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 1963 R2 4-spd (3).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1893893 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk 1963 R2 4-spd (1).JPG
Views:	80