brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: brake fluid

I am doing total drum brake system replacement on 62 Hawk. I plan to use Bosch ES16 brake fluid. How many quarts would be needed to fill and bleed the system?

The volume in the lines is miniscule. Wheel cyls in total, maybe 8 oz, master another 8 oz, wasted fluid due to bleeding correctly...another 8?

I would say 2 pints to be safe?

Comment

I just did a quick Google on it. Interesting stuff. But so far, I don't see anything about it's hygroscopic properties. But maybe that's why it's rated for 3 years instead of 2.? And it's not that expensive. I'm due for a flush myself, and want to know more. As far as volume, a quart should do you.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

What U.S. DOT Rating is ES16? Maybe it is European? Compatible with DOT 3 & 4 or DOT 5?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch ESI6 Flyer_Page_2b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	1893543 Click image for larger version  Name:	Bosch ESI6 Flyer_Page_1b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	1893544since it's tested by cute girls, I'm going to try some. Bosch also makes very good quality balanced brake rotors. When I did a search for brake shoes their web site did produce a part number match for 1962 Studebaker Hawk.
          Last edited by Videoranger; 05-07-2021, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Videoranger View Post
            I am doing total drum brake system replacement on 62 Hawk. I plan to use Bosch ES16 brake fluid. How many quarts would be needed to fill and bleed the system?
            I went through 2 pints with my 62 Hawk, but I have a dual master. I did want to make sure I flushed a lot through it to remove any machine scarf from all the new parts. I stored the excess in it's bottle into another container with two large bags of desiccant. Can we use LMA Castrol in our cars? It was recommended when I had the Rover with the Girling brakes.
            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

It says it's Coverage is for most Brake Systems AFTER 1989.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It says it's Coverage is for most Brake Systems AFTER 1989.
                I bet that is a lawyer required statement. it appears to be superior to any of the DOT ratings, and if any of us have ANY brake components ( except drums) older that 1989, the cars need to be off the road and have new/refurbished parts before they get out of the driveway. My bet, is with new/ rebuilt cylinders/ calipers, and new hoses ( preferably steel lines too) this is better than anything that was available then.
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

According to the chart, it boils at 518 degrees below zero. That doesn't seem like a good idea.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

"Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

That's a tilde Roy, not a minus sign. It means approximately.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It's supposed to be squiggly, isn't it?

I also have a sense of humor, albeit somewhat warped, others tell me.
                        Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-07-2021, 11:15 PM.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X