Push rod length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Push rod length

Well,I found a bent pushrod in a 64 lark type 289 Canadian built, so pulled one out of my spare 289 and it is shorter, even tho one is bent it is still longer than the good one, how many lengths are there to deal with?

There are three lengths: two for the V-8 engines (early and late) and one for the OHV six.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

1951-61 pushrod 11-3/16” 11.171875" to 11.21875"
      1550303 most 1961's-64 11-11/32” or 11.328125"-11.375"

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

The short ones are in my 59 Hawk and the long ones are the 64 289,so I better not mix them.

Comment

Thank you, Jack

Comment

Seeing this a couple of weeks old, I thought I might bump it up. I also have the longer push rods from a 62 or 63 289. Checking for bent rods, I found nothing looking like a tree branch. Good thing there. But, when I roll them on a pane of glass, I found about half of the rods have a very slight bend at one end, the rocker arm end. This very slight bend starts about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches in from the end. The gap is tiny, but there is a gap. The rest of the rod rolls true to the glass.
            wondering if there’s anything here. A couple friends have never seen this. Wondering if anyone on the site has noticed this.

Comment

OK, Half of the Rods have been over stressed. Time for a new Set.
              A GAP? So they ARE Cracked?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No cracks visible to the eye. Maybe under a microscope. I was thinking the same thing, Rich. Lord knows how millions, maybe billions, of times those rods had pushed up the rockers, so maybe just a stress issue. I had not seen or heard of it before. A new set is on the way from Uncle Phil. (He hadn’t heard of it either).

Comment

Working...
                X