57 Golden Hawk stiff rear suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 57 Golden Hawk stiff rear suspension

What would be causing the rear suspension in my 57 Golden hawk to be very stiff with hardly any movement? It has air shocks there now and the ride is very bumpy regardless of how much air I put in the shocks? Front suspension is fine

Originally posted by Poppicat View Post
    What would be causing the rear suspension in my 57 Golden hawk to be very stiff with hardly any movement? It has air shocks there now and the ride is very bumpy regardless of how much air I put in the shocks? Front suspension is fine
    Springs rusty between the leaves, binding the spring up? Shackle bushings/bolts bound up? Air shocks too stiff?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

The previous owner just told me that he replaced the original shocks hoping that the air shocks would loosen things up. No change, still stiff. So maybe there is some rust between the leaves, binding shackle bushings, bolts bound up. etc. I’ll look into it tomorrow. Thank you so much!

Comment

Any pressure in the air shocks would only make the ride stiffer. They are increase the ride height when the load in the car is temporary great, like towing. Put the minimum pressure in the shocks and weight down the trunk and take it for a drive. That should solve the rust issue if it exists. Could the springs have been modified?

Comment

Springs don’t look modified. How much weight are we talking?

Comment

The previous owner just told me that he replaced the original shocks hoping that the air shocks would loosen things up.
            Manually bounce on the rear bumper and note the travel and the resistance. Remove the air shocks and repeat the test. Chances are, they're part of the problem, not a solution.

It's rare to find a Studebaker which does not need rear spring bushing replacement on both ends of the spring. Not a fun chore.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I figured out what the problem was!! It took me a little bit of time but some bozo installed the mufflers right on top of the rear end so it was binding every time you go over a bump. I cut the mufflers just forward of the rear end and it rides like silk now. Even takes on bumps really well. I love it when a big problem ends up being a small problem. Thanks to all for your input

Comment

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for reporting the solution, too. That adds to our knowledge base.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                X