Fuel fitting sealants or ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel fitting sealants or ideas

OHV Champ 6 with Carter fuel pump. The way these pumps are clocked, the outlet is about 30 degrees from perpendicular to the block, and a 90 degree brass fitting is needed to get the outlet pipe on. At least I see no other option.

Here's my problem: This is an original remanufactured pump ( ethanol safe) that works fine. I need a 90 degree brass fitting to get the outlet pipe connected. There is only one position where the outlet pipe fits, and either it's too loose and leaks, or gets so tight 180 degrees from there, that I am afraid I will crack the fuel pump if I go further. Who knows how many times these parts have gone together and come apart, wearing away each time.

What solutions can anyone offer?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

What's worked for me on female threaded fuel pumps is to use a NPT tap to open the threaded hole just a bit more so the fitting will clock correctly. Coat the tap with grease so it will retain the very few shavings. Tap, try the fitting. Turn the tap a bit more, try the fitting.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Oh, I like that idea!
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

DON'T use Teflon tape.
        Even plumbers, that it was made for...don't use it in most cases (as told to me by a...plumber !)..!
        If you want to use teflon, use Teflon "paste".
        If you feel the need to use a sealer, just use a little, non-hardening gasket sealer.
        Me, for the last 50 or so years, I've just used...engine oil..!

I can't count anymore how many people that I've helped with oil or fuel pressure problems...and ended up finding Teflon tape in the system..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          I can't count anymore how many people that I've helped with oil or fuel pressure problems...and ended up finding Teflon tape in the system..!
          Mike
          It was clearly not installed properly. Very common.

Comment

I have used hylomar successfully in these situations.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I finally cried Uncle, and pulled the fuel pump off. Strange how awkward the forward bolt is to access.

What I found is that the fitting is bottoming out before the NPT threads seal, so I went to my junk bin and pulled several other fittings regardless of the outlet end, and all did the same. So the pump body threads are worn too much. This is an original Carter that has been rebuilt with ethanol resistant parts, so I hate to trash it. We've already discussed the pitfalls of teflon tape, I'm not sure teflon pipe dope is any better in this instance, and not only are there no Helicoil pipe thread inserts (AFAIK) I doubt that will seal.
              I'm leaning towards JB Welding the fitting in place. Pro's? Cons? better ideas? Would Hylomar handle a loose connection well without it moving around?
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                I finally cried Uncle, and pulled the fuel pump off. Strange how awkward the forward bolt is to access.

What I found is that the fitting is bottoming out before the NPT threads seal, so I went to my junk bin and pulled several other fittings regardless of the outlet end, and all did the same. So the pump body threads are worn too much. This is an original Carter that has been rebuilt with ethanol resistant parts, so I hate to trash it. We've already discussed the pitfalls of teflon tape, I'm not sure teflon pipe dope is any better in this instance, and not only are there no Helicoil pipe thread inserts (AFAIK) I doubt that will seal.
                I'm leaning towards JB Welding the fitting in place. Pro's? Cons? better ideas? Would Hylomar handle a loose connection well without it moving around?
                Because it's a tapered thread, how about trimming off a thread or two from the fitting to get to a wider area of threads. If there's not enough length, try finding a new brass one at a local store that might have more threads.

I like Permatex better than Teflon for these issues also.

Bob
                Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-09-2021, 04:19 AM.

Comment

Could you retap for a larger fitting? Maybe something metric.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Permatex Aviation has been successful for sealing my fuel leaks. Even in cases where I was unable to get one last quarter turn to get a snug fit. Never a leak!
                    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Ditto on aviation Permatex. Don't overdo any sealant. Don't think Teflon tape is the problem--the problem is how it is applied. I should be applied over the threaded area only . Great idea with the tap!

Comment

Well, I lost the thread where I used a supposed gas and alcohol proof sealant. And it worked for a couple of years, but smelling gas again, I find that same fitting is leaking and loose. It's time to stop messing around.
                        I have an electric pump on a momentary switch to help start it when it's been sitting a week or so, and I guess I'll just set it up to run the truck all of the time.
                        But now I can't find the thread on how to wire the pump safely. I sure wish out search function worked better.
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

When dealing with these small pipe/tube fittings it is important to know what thread it is, there are machine threads, tapered pipe and straight pipe, if they are mixed it will never work. Some fittings seal by bottoming in to a design male female, other taper pipe threads seal taper for taper. If you insert a taper thread into a straight thread it will not seal, although both will have the same TPI. I have a jar of fittings and it is most difficult to acquire a perfect match, you really have to what you have.

Comment

Working...
                          X