1962 Hawk 289 Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1962 Hawk 289 Fuel Pump

Does anyone know if Carter makes an off the shelf mechanical fuel pump that will work on my 1962 Hawk 289 or do I have to buy one of these special $285.00 custom rebuilt fuel pumps. Will this one work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/31097809082...cAAOSweMJfTy0c

Thanks. Richard

Electric pump $14 on ebay (it's gone up $6 since I in stalled it) been working fine for fours years now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254755393311
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1892536

Comment

Do not trust the Precision Products, Fake Carter, it is made by Airtex and fits perfectly, just DOES NOT Work (Pump) !

A Rebuilt OEM Original Carter or the expensive New, Real Carter R1 Avanti Pump will work well on all '55 and Later V8's.
      The electrics work, but I would never use one, knowing there are Better Mechanical ones out there.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you still have your original Carter fuel pump with the glass bowl, just have it rebuilt by one of our trusted SDC vendors. They are great, dependable and leak-free when rebuilt with materials compatible with modern gas. It'll be done right, it'll work right and your car will be less janky.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
          If you still have your original Carter fuel pump with the glass bowl, just have it rebuilt by one of our trusted SDC vendors. They are great, dependable and leak-free when rebuilt with materials compatible with modern gas. It'll be done right, it'll work right and your car will be less janky.
          Andy, I planned on doing that but I was looking for a good decent (reasonable priced) Carter or other off the shelf, mechanical fuel pump to use until I could get mine rebuilt and put back into service. Any recommendations? Thanks Richard

Comment

You don't have to send the original pump out to be rebuilt if you have basic mechanical skills and a few tools. Fuel pump rebuild kits are available from several Studebaker parts vendors and also Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth, Mass. I've been using the Then and Now rebuild kits for the Carter pumps for years and have gotten good service from them. Be sure if you decide to rebuild the pump yourself, that the kit you use has modern materials that are resistant to ethanol gas. I've used the replacement Carter pumps which are Carter in name only and have had acceptable performance from them, but on my own cars I'm using original Carter pumps that I've rebuilt. Bud

Comment

Working...
            X