1950 Champion Studebaker - Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    Yes, there should be a drain plug on the transmission and the O/D. There are fill plugs as well. You should get a shop manual to ensure you fill correctly. IIRC, you fill the O/D first. Loosely insert fill plug. Then fill trans.
    Be certain to use GL-1, also known as Ford Tractor oil, if using a mineral/non synthetic oil. It's available at Tractor Supply, NAPA, and other sources. Ratings other than that have compounds that can damage the synchros and overdrive springs.
    You will find it handy to get a pump to fill the transmission, and yes, the overdrive must be filled separately from the main gearbox.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

On several Studebakers of the fifties I found that the two cams inside the bell housing on the clutch release shaft got loose because all that attaches these to the clutch release is a press fit onto a serrated section of the shaft.
      Find a new shaft or spot weld the to the shaft.
      The problem is where to weld them in relation to the shaft.
      I will see tomorrow if I still have any new ones of these shafts in stock.

Comment

Check your parts book.There were early and later improve versions 519303 for early 1950 Champion and 527871 for later cars.
        Both are available from my favorite vendor
        Studebakerparts on line
        http://www.studebakerparts.com

Comment

Sorry , wrong part numbers.
          I will find the correct numbers for yo

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post

Be certain to use GL-1, also known as Ford Tractor oil, if using a mineral/non synthetic oil. It's available at Tractor Supply, NAPA, and other sources. Ratings other than that have compounds that can damage the synchros and overdrive springs.
            You will find it handy to get a pump to fill the transmission, and yes, the overdrive must be filled separately from the main gearbox.
            This handy device has been a lifesaver for tight spots - and the fill ports on a B-W gearbox are good examples!

Comment

Working...
            X