Champ Truck Throttle Linkage Photo Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Champ Truck Throttle Linkage Photo Wanted

I am hoping someone here would be able to provide one or more photos of the correct throttle linkage to WCFB configuration.

Background: I replaced the 2 bbl carb and intake manifold on my '61 Champ truck, 259 V8, 3-speed w/OD, with a 4 bbl WCFB. I replaced the linkage rod from the throttle linkage bracket at the back of the engine to the carb with the correct one for that carburetor arrangement. It all seemed to work fine until I discovered that the arm travel was not sufficient to allow the kickdown switch to be engaged. The flat arm on the linkage does not travel far enough to depress the button on the switch. I have been told that the bracket does not need to be changed. The linkage arm to the carburetor needs to be attached to a different spot on the bracket.
    I would love to see a photo (or two, or three) of where this connection should be and what it looks like. If any of the above makes sense I would love input.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

If you have the proper Bellcrank with TWO holes in the Forward End of the lever for the Carb. Rod, the Rod goes in the forward hole closest to the end, the Carb. Rod SHOULD have the Straight Rod end on it.
    It goes on the Carb. End of the spring loaded Stretch Rod.

If you adjust the length of the adjustable Carb. Rod properly against the Stop Screw and lock Nut, with the Shop Manual distance to the Stop checked or adjusted, it should reach the Kickdown Switch.

You DO need an Overdrive Bellcrank with the "Flipper Lever" attached.
    The 2 vs 4 Brl. Carb. does NOT matter for THAT Part.

This is SO simple to explain, I don't think a Pic would help at all.
    Plus I don't have one CLOSE UP enough to help.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-30-2021, 11:33 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is a pretty thorough description. The only thing I changed was the intake manifold and carburetor. The OD was already on the truck. I'll take another look using your description and see if things match up. I feel a bit dumb because you are right. This should be a simple fix.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_123615.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1893596
        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Sorry Mike, but that is the wrong end of the Rod so does not show the Bellcrank and it's connection to the Throttle Rod that Ed is looking for.

It's a bit Odd that you have a Thermostatic Control, Automatic Choke AND an Aftermarket Manual Choke Cable.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-07-2021, 11:47 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well bummer....... my only other photos are at the wrong angle, can't see any detail.

The automatic choke isn't complete, parts missing. Guessing my dad added the manual choke.
            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              It's a bit Odd that you have a Thermostatic Control, Automatic Choke AND an Aftermarket Manual Choke Cable.
              Not trying to take your thread off topic Eddie...........

Looks like the guts are out of the automatic choke Rich. There is no tube from the manifold hooked up to the threaded fitting, and it doesn't look like the plastic/bakelite cap is on either.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

But it does have the optional hornets nest insert. Mine doesn't have that.
                I just got the truck back from the shop where the steering was rebuilt so I will make some time to check the linkage this weekend. A good photo would still be nice.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                X