63 Avanti - Hydrovac Testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 63 Avanti - Hydrovac Testing?

Is there any way to test the operation of the Hydrovac brake booster without the car running? I'm doing a complete brake job on my '63 Avanti (stainless brake lines, new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes, new hoses, etc.), but I'd hate to get the whole system put together and bled and find out I have to remove the Hydrovac to have it rebuilt.

Thanks, all.

You can use a vacuum pump like a Mightivac to pull a vacuum on the power brake booster and see if the vacuum holds. If it doesn't, the diaphragm is probably bad. (Or, you could hook up a vacuum line from another operable car to the booster as a source of vacuum, but if your brake system is apart there isn't much I can think of that you could do with that.)

By the way, a Hydrovac is a different booster system that was used on other Studebakers but not the Avanti. I can't remember for sure the name of the booster on the Avanti - maybe MasterVac? I'm sure the Studebaker name police will correct me if that is wrong!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

One simple way is: with the Engine OFF, pump the Pedal three times until there is no more vacuum sound, hold the Pedal down and start the Engine, the Pedal; SHOULD go down as the Vacuum builds.

But if you have taken the Brake System all apart, sorry, it's too late.
      By the way, FYI: you have a Bendix Master-Vac Full Power Brake Unit, it is a LOT different than a Booster; (Hydrovac).
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        One simple way is: with the Engine OFF, pump the Pedal three times until there is no more vacuum sound, hold the Pedal down and start the Engine, the Pedal; SHOULD go down as the Vacuum builds.
        Rich, he said he can't run the engine.............

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
        X