62 Hawk Body Welting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 62 Hawk Body Welting?

Hi everyone! Starting to reassemble my 62 Hawk. When I removed the rear fenders, the overlapping metal did not have any welting between the panels. It does at the front of the rear fender though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4130832.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1892362

Name:	P4130833.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	1892363

I did not see anything in the parts manual, so I used 3M Strip Caulk in between the body and fender, like modern cars. Hope this is the right approach.

Another question along the same lines is the right front grille. There doesn't appear to be a rubber seal between it and the body either.

Name:	PC120841.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1892364

This is the left side I did not touch.

Name:	P4060837.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1892365

So I just bolted the right side in. The parts manual doesn't show anything either.

Name:	P4220832.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1892366

Thoughts? Advice?

The strip caulk is as good as anything where the fender joins the body along the top, as well as the edge of the fender along the B pillar. Studebaker used pretty much the same thing, but there was a thread that ran through it, making the application easier and of consistent thickness.
    And you are correct; there is no seal used between the left and right grills and the body.
    The flat rubber shim is also not "welt." The shim you cut out of old rubber is available from Studebaker vendors at a bit higher price.
    Fender welt was last used on Studebaker rear fenders in 1952, and would leave a visible bead that was always painted body color at the factory.

Name:	welt.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1892372

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      The strip caulk is as good as anything where the fender joins the body along the top, as well as the edge of the fender along the B pillar. Studebaker used pretty much the same thing, but there was a thread that ran through it, making the application easier and of consistent thickness.
      And you are correct; there is no seal used between the left and right grills and the body.
      The flat rubber shim is also not "welt." The shim you cut out of old rubber is available from Studebaker vendors at a bit higher price.
      Fender welt was last used on Studebaker rear fenders in 1952, and would leave a visible bead that was always painted body color at the factory.

Name:	welt.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1892372
      Thanks Brad. I wasn't sure what to call it. My Austin Somerset had that type of welting(?) as did many VW Bug owners. Glad the side grilles did not as I was dreading taking it all apart again.

Comment

I don't believe the main grill shell or headlight rings had anything either. Mine didn't when I got it. I bought some from Studebaker West after seeing it on the '62 Herman was driving. I believe it was used somewhere on a Lark, but they sell it by the foot so you can use it on whatever you want. I always thought it looked like it was missing without it.

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1892397

Comment

Working...
        X