Power Antenna AC-2887

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Power Antenna AC-2887

Does ANYONE know anything about this Very Rare or Never existed "Cowl Mounted Power Antenna" AC-2887?

It shows available for 1958 Passenger Cars and '59-'60 Hawks in the 1961 "Parts and Accessories Price List" Book "F".

My '58 President that was one of the 1958 Demo's the owner of the Dealership Dad worked at drove in '58, was supposed to have one of these per the P.O. but for whatever reason, it just has the AC-2960 Internal Control Manual Antenna.

If it did make it to the Dealer in the Trunk, (X) AC it certainly never got installed.
    I have NEVER seen one or even heard of anyone who did, these may have been kind of "Stillborn".

As you can see, Frank Afton Never Ordered his Personal Demo Bare, but ALWAYS Black!

Click image for larger version  Name:	58H-Y6_ Build Slip (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	1892181
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2021, 12:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Can't help you with the antenna, but would love to see a nice photo of the car.

Comment

Interesting. What is the significance of the leading X before AC ? This is a guess but could it possibly mean "ordered but not supplied" ?

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
        Interesting. What is the significance of the leading X before AC ? This is a guess but could it possibly mean "ordered but not supplied" ?
        There IS this in Post #1:

"If it did make it to the Dealer in the Trunk, (X) AC it certainly never got installed."

An "X" in front of an AC (Accessory) means Uninstalled at the Factory, to be inserted into the Trunk or maybe back Seat or Caro Area on Wagons, for Dealer Installation.
        StudeRich

Comment

The only Studebaker power antenna I have ever heard of is the vacuum powered one for 47-50 Commanders and Land Cruisers.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

That COULD be a Clue Roy, if they List AC-2887 "Somewhere" fitting 1955 & Earlier THROUGH 1956 and Later, we know it is NOT Electric "Powered"!
            StudeRich

Comment

This letter implies that the electric antenna was available. The left side cowl vent (or absence of one) may have caused the power antenna to be cancelled or replaced with the roll-up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58.cowl.vent.SP5.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1892265
              So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Thank you very much Dwain, that makes perfect sense, the Power Antennas are likely too large to fit with the Left Air Vent Kit.

Because my President was built Very near the Start of 1958 Production, it could have even been the reason those were discontinued, since an Important Member of the "Dealers Council" ordered this Car with the Antenna for his own Personal Car, it might have been the 1st. '58 that brought that to their attention.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2021, 09:49 PM.
                StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                  This letter implies that the electric antenna was available. The left side cowl vent (or absence of one) may have caused the power antenna to be cancelled or replaced with the roll-up.
                  I seem to recall seeing a factory photo of a '58 Packard with the electric antenna, which I was trying to look for in old TW;s etc., yesterday. The dead giveaway was it being mounted farther forward on the fender than the manual or inside-controlled antenna. The majority of '58 Packard factory photos show the dual rear antennas.

And yes, they existed:
                  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....tenna-question

Craig
                  Last edited by 8E45E; 04-29-2021, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Perhaps the power antenna was delivered to the dealer with the car. A mechanic may have put a hole in the car for the antenna where he was used to doing it and then found out that the electric antenna was installed in a different spot. The problem was solved by installing a "normal" antenna.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I looked through the photos that StudeRich has posted in the recent past, but no photos of a 1958 President (neither Dwight D. Eisenhower nor Studebaker). Post a photo of your car!
                      I like studegary's theory about a mechanic not following written instructions. Been there, done that.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I really do not have any "Good" pictures of it , the Pres. has been Garaged since 1967 when I found it, Life, Three Sons and about 35 other Studes. got in the way after that.
                        Here it is coming to WA from The South Bay Area of Calif. on my U-Haul Trailer behind my Son's E-350 in 2014.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7_2014 Trip to Ferndale.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	1892358 Will a Good Pic of someone else's '58 work? Click image for larger version  Name:	Black4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	1892359Oh! THERE it is, that Black Driver's Door Window Frame and Windshield right in front of Sammy the Lot Man's Mouth!
                        I know it is in this 1958 Photo, because it is parked in Frank's private Parking space right next to the drive-through double doors to the Showroom.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Frank_H_Afton-Inglewood-1958a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	1892367
                        Here's the Used Car Lot "Shack" the same Day:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Frank_H_Afton-Inglewood-1958d.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1892368

Last edited by StudeRich; 04-29-2021, 04:29 PM.
                        StudeRich

Comment

I see a 1952 or 1953 Mercury two door sedan, not very common. For that vintage Mercury, sedans were usually four door and two doors were usually hardtops.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes you are right, probably a Two Tone Green '53 Merc. but what about the More unusual, '56 Olds 88 2 door Sedan in Pic #4?

AND a "bare bones" '53 Chev. 2 door Sedan and behind that, what is another 2 Door Sedan, I think a '55 Plymouth! The '53 Ford behind that, COULD be a 4 Door.

Just More evidence of the Frugality of Stude. Buyers/Owners, they traded Lower Priced Body Types in for a Stude.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 04-30-2021, 12:16 PM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Yes you are right, probably a Two Tone Green '53 Merc. but what about the More unusual, '56 Olds 88 2 door Sedan in Pic #4?

AND a "bare bones" '53 Chev. 2 door Sedan and behind that, what is another 2 Door Sedan, I think a '55 Plymouth! The '53 Ford behind that, COULD be a 4 Door.

Just More evidence of the Frugality of Stude. Buyers/Owners, they traded Lower Priced Body Types in for a Stude.
                              I don't see enough of the Mercury to tell if it is a 1952 or 1953.
                              Not at all uncommon for early '50s Ford, Plymouth and Chevrolet to be two door sedans (at last around here).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X