Can't stop the weep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
    Hi, thought my brake line woes were past 2 years ago, finally got all my new Cunifer lines and DOT5 sealed up. Recently, since still just a chassis, removed MC to return to Jim Turner for adding the port to enable a reservoir for refill mounted on firewall. Ever since, can't get the lines to stop very tiny weep (overnight to show). Removed line and remade both ends, as well as I know how (and the rest of the system has been dry, most the 'first time'). Don't know what else to to do. Tightened as tight as possible (over three nights of trying to stop the weep). MC ports LOOK ok but really hard to see in there if somehow scored, don't know how, Always very careful no burrs, blew out components w/ brake cleaner before assembly, etc.. . If it WERE the MC ports now, is there anyway to replace (or have NAPA or ?) replace just those MC fittings? Or cost more than buying a whole new modified cylinder (again) from Jim?
    attached photos of my flare. one problem I noticed with this 3/8' Cunifer, is a bit thick, so I've had to gently file away the pinched area that swells; get it to where the nut freely turns and seats. And, worked on all my OTHER many fittings even before I started fine-tuning them a bit like that.

I did DOT 5 so no cylinders would rust out (already had the Cunifer, overkill in that case I know). If I had it to do over again, would have stuck with DOT3 I think. But hate the thought of rebuilding ALL of the brand new wheel and M/C again to clean the DOT 5 out :-(.
    Anything look amiss with my flares? Or other tips? I'd never done flaring before, but have a good hydraulic set, practiced a LOT, and did the fuel lines after the brakes, so feel I'm "doing them right" at this point.

Finally completely out of my 3/8" line, could maybe get one more flare out of existing. BUT, have made multiple and always end up with a slight weep one end or the other. Only this set of two lines, from pressure valves to cylinder!!! all others sealed. So frustrating!

Thanks. Click image for larger version Name:	brake line flare.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	1892063 Click image for larger version Name:	brake line fare side2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.0 KB ID:	1892065 Click image for larger version Name:	brake line fare side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	1892066 Click image for larger version Name:	brake fluid weep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	1892067 Click image for larger version Name:	MC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	1892068
    I may be mistaken, but does your flare have a bit too much material in the "port" area? It appears that your flaring tool is gripping too low on the tube. Here is a factory made flare.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4290855.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	1892374

I would imagine that the center of your flare is bottoming out on the male end of the fitting before the outer edges seat, giving a poor seal? Think of trying to fit a small diameter washer on a cone, it would sit high on the cone, using a larger diameter washer, allows it to sit lower on the cone. Maybe your small hole is limiting full contact with the male flare fitting. It's probably why you are rounding out the nuts, in effect trying to stretch the hole. I hope that makes sense. Other than that I am perplexed.
    Last edited by Topper2011; 04-29-2021, 04:58 PM.
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Update: midweek I re-did my two lines to MC, per Doofus suggestion of "lay off the cone" a bit. At first i thought it did it, not weeping immediately! :-) Next day, still a dab (and I spray with brake cleaner in threads, NOT residual fluid). So, started experimenting and searching web on Flextool use and flaring in general (sites that show I last visited in 2019; dejavu). Confirmed tubing should be JUST LEVEL with the die (which I carefully do), and basically that i was doing everything correctly with the Mastercool tool.
      BUT:
      A problem I've always had with the 3/16" lines, and attributed to the Cunifer, is I always end up with a bit of a 'flange" on the back. No-one had THIS problem on YouTube.... And my 5/16" and 3/8" (for fuel lines) were perfect every time.
      Originally I got to where I was making nice flares except for this, and simply filed off the "excess". But, often got distorted flares too. I measured the Cunifer last night, and it is exactly 3/16".

Has anyone had this problem?
      The die does not close all the way, (doesn't for other sizes either) but experimenting with REALLY cranking it down until die had NO gaps didn't help (worse if anything; YouTube vids also indicate "no need to tighten past snug")

Below are photos showing the step-by-step "normal" process I used for the entire brake system (except I'd carefully file those outcroppings off).
      I've noticed my tubing cutter (for 3/16"; good one is not quite small enough) doesn't cut quite flat so will go buy a new one and try that.
      But doesn't seem THAT would have anything to do with that ridge under the flare..... For the life of me can't figure out what I'm doing wrong; or if I just have a bad MasterCool die.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	1892800 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	1892801 Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	1892802 Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.0 KB ID:	1892803 Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	1892804

2nd question; assume I finally fix this at MC, and I have no weeping anywhere else in brake system. With all the "pumping" of pedal I've done for bleeding brakes originally 2 years ago, and now again repeatedly testing for leaks w/ the re-installed MC, is it "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", or are "all connections suspect and might START leaking someday when really USING the brake? Thinking of more pressure when really 'standing on the pedal" in a hard stop....

Thanks for any feedback!
      Barry
      Attached Files
      Last edited by bsrosell; 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

If these were AN type fittings I could probably offer better help but I will try to pass on what I have learned during my working career. If you are getting a good seal at the other flares it would indicate they are being properly made. I think the problem is with the master cylinder fittings flare. Would it be possible to use another known good master cylinder or change out those fittings? I have found that the tendency to over torque a connection to stop a leak is usually not the best solution. The nose of the fitting or the flare itself will distort and still not stop a leak. There should be a torque spec. range for these fittings. We would typically lube the back of the flare where the fitting nut rides to ensure that the line flare did not try to turn with fitting when tightening. I hope this helps. I used to spend a lot of time leak-checking test systems and know how frustrating it can get.

Comment

Lark55, I think you are correct. I got my new flaring die for the Flexcool tool, got new coil of FedHill cunifer (used it all up trying to get this fixed!), made much nicer flares, but still weeping at both MC ports. I finally dried them off really good and got a good look inside the MC ports, and they don't look great. Definitely "max torque" (and 7 attempts or more?) distorted the holes at least, and looks like some scoring on the one. Talked to Jim Turner, ready to buy a new M/C, and he reminded me of the flare washers Brad suggested. (and Gord had good luck with on the Indy car! Congrats!).
          I found a set thru Zoro with only $5 shipping, so ~$10 total for 10-pack. On their way. Will let you know. Otherwise, new M/C time.
          Thanks Jim and Brad!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	flare with new die2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1896602 Click image for larger version

Name:	flare with new die.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1896603 Click image for larger version

Name:	MC port2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1896599 Click image for larger version

Name:	MC port.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1896600
          Attached Files

Comment

The flare looks A LOT better!
            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
              Lark55, I think you are correct. I got my new flaring die for the Flexcool tool, got new coil of FedHill cunifer (used it all up trying to get this fixed!), made much nicer flares, but still weeping at both MC ports. I finally dried them off really good and got a good look inside the MC ports, and they don't look great. Definitely "max torque" (and 7 attempts or more?) distorted the holes at least, and looks like some scoring on the one. Talked to Jim Turner, ready to buy a new M/C, and he reminded me of the flare washers Brad suggested. (and Gord had good luck with on the Indy car! Congrats!).
              I found a set thru Zoro with only $5 shipping, so ~$10 total for 10-pack. On their way. Will let you know. Otherwise, new M/C time.
              Thanks Jim and Brad!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	flare with new die2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1896602 Click image for larger version

Name:	flare with new die.jpg
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1896603 Click image for larger version

Name:	MC port2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1896599 Click image for larger version

Name:	MC port.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1896600
              I certainly hope the new master cylinder works for you. The tube flares look better. We would typically assemble all of our AN test systems with nose seals (or flare washers if you prefer). The nose seals would protect both the tubing flare as well as the fitting flare as well as seal the connection. At times, if there was a ding or scratch on either sealing surface it would transfer to the tube or fitting flare.

Comment

DOT 5 tends to seep easier and sometimes a connection needs to be backed off a hair and re-tighten, or is at a slight angle.
                I've done dozens of cars and always get them to seal without any seal washers.
                Your last picture of a flare looks good now, but may have damaged the master cone.
                Your clamp marks behind might not look good, but the smoothness and angle of front and back of cone are what's important for sealing. Those washers might take care of any master cyl cone damage and imperfections.
                I buy 25'-50' rolls of brake and fuel lines and Eastwood sells an excellent flaring tool for about $200 that works perfect (foolproof for me) every time.
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Barry, looks to me like M.C cone is seated slightly crooked by your pics. take a look as it might be my peepers but the pattern on the cone in the M/C is crooked. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                  X