65 Daytona leaf spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 65 Daytona leaf spring

I just picked up my first Stude, Its a 65 Daytona. The passenger side rear is sagging and I think it’s a worn out leaf.

Can anyone tell me what springs would be a direct replacement? ( or do I need to buy studebaker specific springs?)

Thank you,

I've never heard of any other-make leaf springs that are a direct fit, so, yes, you do need to buy Studebaker springs. You could have a broken leaf or a sagging main leaf. There could be used ones available near you. You might try advertising in the Buy & Sell section of this forum.

Welcome to the Studebaker hobby and to the SDC Forum.

-Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Wfd1739 View Post
      I just picked up my first Stude, Its a 65 Daytona. The passenger side rear is sagging and I think it’s a worn out leaf.

Can anyone tell me what springs would be a direct replacement? ( or do I need to buy studebaker specific springs?)

Thank you,
      Welcome to the SDC Forum and the wonderful world of Studebakers!
      First determine exactly what the problem is. If it is a broken secondary leaf or two, a spring shop (usually deals with trucks) can make replacements. If it is the main leaf, I suggest getting a new or good used Studebaker replacement spring. NOS are $550 per pair plus shipping. It is possible that it is not the spring itself, like the spring mounts, that is why I said to determine the cause before proceeding.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you want brand new, made specifically for your car, go to https://www.eatondetroitspring.com
        I got my new springs from them for my GT Hawk.

Comment

^ My Dad got the springs for my Lark from Eaton Detroit. My then girlfriend didn't get why I was excited over receiving a box full "metal things" for Christmas, but what can I say . Haven't installed them yet, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be spot on.

It seems like weak rear springs are a common enough thing on Studebakers, that I'd be a bit wary of trying to piece together something out of used parts. Not sure about re-arcing, either... if the steel is that fatigued, how long will it hold up when put back into service.

Oh yeah... Welcome aboard, David!

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Thank you all for your response. I am not used to not being able go to a local store and pick up what I need.

I guess this is one of the joys of owning a Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wfd1739 View Post
              Thank you all for your response. I am not used to not being able go to a local store and pick up what I need.

I guess this is one of the joys of owning a Studebaker.
              Yes, the hunt is a large part of the fun.
              -Dwight

Comment

That is very good advice to check it over carefully, there are several Reasons for Right Rear Springs sagging.

If this is a Manual Trans. Car or a Hard Driven Automatic, the RIGHT Spring is the one that Torques the most and twists upward, which straightens the Spring and it loses it's Arc.

Contributing to that condition is the wear on the Shackles and the Spring Bushings.

Also, if these Springs were EVER removed, someone COULD have them in the Wrong Spring Bracket HOLES!
                The Left and Right side springs do NOT go in the same Holes in the Bracket Left and Right.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a cracked Leaf or missing one. After all, it HAS had 56 Years for "Things" to happen to it!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  That is very good advice to check it over carefully, there are several Reasons for Right Rear Springs sagging.

If this is a Manual Trans. Car or a Hard Driven Automatic, the RIGHT Spring is the one that Torques the most and twists upward, which straightens the Spring and it loses it's Arc.

Contributing to that condition is the wear on the Shackles and the Spring Bushings.

Also, if these Springs were EVER removed, someone COULD have them in the Wrong Spring Bracket HOLES!
                  The Left and Right side springs do NOT go in the same Holes in the Bracket Left and Right.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a cracked Leaf or missing one. After all, it HAS had 56 Years for "Things" to happen to it!
                  That's interesting. Do you know which side goes in which holes?

I'll have to check when I get it on the lift this weekend.

Comment

The drivers side goes in the lower hole (front of spring) and the passsenger side the higher (they preload the drivers side to account for the driver). The Studebaker spring bushings are antiquated and poorly designed in my opinion. But, if in good condition and properly tightened will work for a while. Regardless they would have little effect on spring sag. The bushing can be fixed, but I believe other folks have found more modern springs that will fit, but I don't remember what they were. In any case a GOOD inspection would be first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post
                      ^ My Dad got the springs for my Lark from Eaton Detroit. My then girlfriend didn't get why I was excited over receiving a box full "metal things" for Christmas, but what can I say . Haven't installed them yet, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be spot on.

It seems like weak rear springs are a common enough thing on Studebakers, that I'd be a bit wary of trying to piece together something out of used parts. Not sure about re-arcing, either... if the steel is that fatigued, how long will it hold up when put back into service.

Oh yeah... Welcome aboard, David!
                      $652 shipped from Eaton.

Comment

Working...
                      X