No announcement yet.

Basic generator info 1950 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like everyone is jumping on polarization as being the issue. Check the basics first! The battery could just be old and weak. Connections could be loose or dirty. The belt could be slipping. Don't be in a big hurry to swap parts. In fact don't be in a hurry at all. Drive the car a little and see what happens. Just stay close to home for a while. Don't worry, you will get to spend big dollars at some point on this car. Don't be too eager to start the bleeding.

Nathan

Comment

Hi Nathan,
      I agree, I don’t want to throw parts at it - but I do know that when I got the car the ammeter would show a charge when rpms were increased and now , after I had done some work to it which included disconnecting the power supply , the ammeter either reads dead center or minus with no change when rpm is increased. I think the battery just needs a slight charge with my trickle charger but I Should have repolarized the system before starting the engine after I made repairs. Now that I’m investigating the generator it raises questions about its origin. It doesn’t mean it’s incorrect, as I stated before I have a distributor from a ‘56 champ which works fine. I’m just trying to know what I have so I can perform accurate diagnostics.
      Thx,
      Jim

Comment

In Picture #2 on Post #14, I see just the Edge of the Nameplate, that should tell you WHAT Generator you have.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thx Rich- Yes, I suspect it’s autolite, you can see the “e” at the end. I’ll look at it in person later this week. Once I get the number off the ID plate I’m hoping I can find out what year it is. As you can see from the diagrams in the manual it doesn’t look like the generator for a ‘50 champ. But it could be from a later model. I’ll test the voltage regulator and if faulty replace it. Then polarize system before starting. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. It’s all part of my studebaker education lol.

Comment

Here’s a pic of the generator ID tag. Not sure if anyone here can find a date for it based on this code? I called SI and they said they would ck and get back to me. It appears they may have used 2 different generators in ‘50 just like they did with the distributor. The shop manual shows a different one to the one I have but that may be an early one.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just found the answer with SI Catalogue under electrical. This is a late ‘50 generator- not pictured in shop manual

Comment

Problem solved! Although it took a roundabout path! First, I polarized the system, made no difference, still no charge. I then inspected the wiring at the VR and found a loose, almost broken wire connection at the field terminal connection. I stripped the wire, put a néw connector on then checked for charging status again- nothing! So now I checked the generator by grounding the field terminal and giving it some revs- success! The bigger surprise was when I removed the temporary ground wire and it still worked, charging battery on revs- showing charge on ammeter.

Comment

Working...
                X