Cowl Antenna - Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Cowl Antenna - Removal

All. I am having difficulty removing a Cowl Antenna (AC-577) from my 1939 Coupe Express. I have several questions that perhaps I can get answers to.

First, the Antenna is held in place with two screws, and upper and lower. The lower was easy to remove and it is a very specialized piece. The upper is stuck and can't get it broken free. I am assuming the screw is also specialized and I don't want to damage it. Any suggestions on getting this upper screw removed? It looks like a difficult area to get any type of rust free squirted in there. Note that the upper screw is mounted into a housing that connects a cable to the radio.

The second question regards actual removal of the antenna. Even with the lower screw out, I cannot figure out how to remove the antenna from the cowl. It appears that there are two plastic/bakelite pieces for each screw mounting that sandwich the fender sheet metal in between. By applying light pressure, they do not seem to come apart. I am hesitant to be more aggressive as I don't want anything to break. Any guidance on how this antenna is attached to the cowl?

Many Thanks Al Kurz

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6979.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1891628

Attached Files

The antenna appears very similar to those used on Volkswagen bugs in the 1960s. I believe they had nuts on the inner side of the sheet metal. Might be worth a look.
    Bill Jarvis

Comment

That antenna is an aftermarket one made by a company called Ward - not Montgomery Wards. If it goes up much higher than a regular antenna, it is a Ward "long ranger" model.

Each Bakelite mount/insulator should have a large nut inside the cowl. Both of those nuts must be removed and the antenna comes off/out sideways with the antenna shaft still mounted to the mount/insulators.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks Radio Roy!!. I will give that a try. Do you have any tricks to free up the second section that is stuck at full extension into the first/lower section? I have tried various solvents, heat and cold shock, and mummy dust. No luck so far.

Comment

Can you get into the bottom of the bottom mast section and put the solvent in that way?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Radio Roy. That was why I wanted to take off the antenna. To turn it upside down and let it soak. I will give that a try and update you. It will be a week or so as I need to finish another project before I can turn back to my CE. Thanks.

Comment

Make sure that you do not put any kind of wrench, pliers or other tool on the antenna shaft segments. Even the slightest mechanical pressure will make it out of round and then it will never telescope again.

Just use hand pressure with maybe rubber or silicone covered gloves for traction.

Comment

Mr. R Roy. Your advice has been most helpful. Especially about not putting pliers on the antenna. For the record, or future record, here's where I am at with the Antenna. The lower cowl mounting screw was brass and came out easily. The upper one was much more difficult to remove. I eventually got it out using a specialized wide flat blade ratcheting screwdriver, but not without some almost stripping of the head. What I found was that the upper screw was not brass but steel. And it had corroded into its mounting screw. But I got it out. Brass will go back in.

As for the antenna being stuck. Once I got it off the car, I could work on it with more diligence. I straightened out the curves a bit. Then I put the base of the antenna on the floor and tapped the top ball gently. Eventually the second section slid down about 1/8". Success! Inspecting the antenna more closely, I notice a thick layer of patina and corrosion on it. So I cleaned the second section with aggressive red scotchbrite and acetone. I continued tapping the antenna down and it did collapse, but very grudgingly. Once collapsed, I sprayed rust free in the bottom and let it sit upside down for a few hours. I was able move the mid section a bit back and forth and after more worrying, it eventually became totally free, top to bottom.

So success. Antenna saved. One of the keys to move the stuck antenna was tapping it while the bottom was upon the pavement, and not on the car. On the car, the cowl mounts absorbed too much of the shock of the hammer. On the ground the shock was more efficient serving to break the corroded segment free.

One question. I have no details from the stude manuals on this antenna. Does anyone know where to get the cowl gaskets that seal behind the cowl bushsings?

Many thanks to all. Good luck on any future antenna problems!!

Al K

Comment

Working...
                X