No announcement yet.

Toyotebaker Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is a 2 door convertible, the seats fold down so getting in the back is no problem. They have tracks so I can adjust back and forth. However they "clip" into the original Odyssey using a round rod to clip in so I will have to fabricate that part from 9/16 round rod welded into 1 inch square tubing and then weld that to the floor.... no pictures yet as it is all in my head for now. As far as seat belts, the later seats have them built in, so good to go. The earlier ones will require a little finessing to get shoulder belts built in, but doable I believe....if not, I will put the older ones in the back as rear bucket seats and continue to search for the later model second row odyssey seats

Comment

I've been meaning to do a write up on how I fabricated mounts for the modern style shoulder/lap seat belts. If I don't do it soon, remind me when you get ready to do yours.

Comment

I used Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in my '59 wagon. Integrated seat belts. Cut the floor out along with the seats. Bolted the floor to the wagon floor. Have power seats with seat belts. The donor car was around 2002-3. There were quite a few to choose from. Took the seats to Barrys Upholstery in South Bend and Gary recovered the bottoms with the original material. Then he followed the same pattern to the Studebaker rear seat. Got a trophy for best interior.

Comment

I just googled it, assymetrical seat back, very cool. I would think the frame would have to be exceptionally strong, and heavy. Do you recall the seat weight? Thanks.

Comment

When you say you “bolted the floor to the wagon floor”, did you also make sure to somehow tag it into the frame as well?

In a serious accident you may launch yourself through the windscreen still strapped into your seats, complete with floor section.

These type of above transplants should only be done by qualified or exceptionally skilled folks here.

I’ve intentionally shunned putting any type of seatbelt in my Willys/Nash/Studebakers if the factory hadn’t already made a provision for doing so.

Reminds me to always drive slower than my angels can fly.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
              I used Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in my '59 wagon. Integrated seat belts. Cut the floor out along with the seats. Bolted the floor to the wagon floor. Have power seats with seat belts. The donor car was around 2002-3. There were quite a few to choose from. Took the seats to Barrys Upholstery in South Bend and Gary recovered the bottoms with the original material. Then he followed the same pattern to the Studebaker rear seat. Got a trophy for best interior.

I'm hoping you have some photos to share of your seats. Those are in the top three of the seats we have been looking at and trying to decide whether we want to pull the trigger on. A photo or two in a Studebaker would really help out.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                When you say you “bolted the floor to the wagon floor”, did you also make sure to somehow tag it into the frame as well?

In a serious accident you may launch yourself through the windscreen still strapped into your seats, complete with floor section.

These type of above transplants should only be done by qualified or exceptionally skilled folks here.

I’ve intentionally shunned putting any type of seatbelt in my Willys/Nash/Studebakers if the factory hadn’t already made a provision for doing so.

Reminds me to always drive slower than my angels can fly.
                Rear of floor pan is bolted through the outer body support and the inner is reinforced with 1/4 plate using 7/16 grade 8 bolts. the front was bolted in the original seat mount. My mounting is stronger than the way Studebaker seat belts were mounted. I'm a retired heavy truck mechanic and been working on Studebakers since 1957. Thanks for your concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake_H View Post

I'm hoping you have some photos to share of your seats. Those are in the top three of the seats we have been looking at and trying to decide whether we want to pull the trigger on. A photo or two in a Studebaker would really help out.
                  I will get pictures.

Comment

Working...
                  X