My New Battery That Looks Like Original Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: My New Battery That Looks Like Original Update

Click image for larger version  Name:	176207032_10215399196411597_9067225634700668634_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.7 KB ID:	1891420 Click image for larger version  Name:	100_4485.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	1891421 Click image for larger version  Name:	100_4484.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	1891422 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_87087.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1891424
    Attached Files

Roly Lusted, Past President Hamilton Chapter SDC
    http://www.thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Hamilto...64400/?fref=ts

UPDATE? How is it different than the last Post on 4/19?
    It DOES look very Original, like the OEM Willard.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....e-the-original
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That looks very nice.

Is it a topper on the battery, or is it a specially made, antique-looking battery?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

It is done to look like an original battery. It was in the Avanti magazine and the article on it is by Pete Rutledge. He is the newsletter person for the Potomac chapter. If you would like the article, let me know and I will send it to you. I am really pleased with the engine compartment on the Avanti. Thank you for the compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by Roly Lusted View Post
          It is done to look like an original battery. ...... If you would like the article, let me know and I will send it to you. I am really pleased with the engine compartment on the Avanti. Thank you for the compliment.
          I would like to see the article, please. My email address is in my profile.

Thank you.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Here is the article about the battery.
            How to Make a New, Reliable, Economical “1964 Studebaker Battery”

By Peter J. Rutledge, Potomac Chapter, SDC

For the 1964 model year, Studebaker began offering a car battery with their name on it. Among other applications, it was used to fill the newly-designed battery tray in the ’64 Avanti, a space formerly designed for and filled by the unusually-shaped (long and narrow) 3EEE battery. While I haven’t researched it, I’m pretty sure that Studebaker did not actually manufacture the battery. Although the new battery looked pretty much like any other car battery, it did have a couple of distinguishing features. It had a nice big Studebaker battery label on top and it had six colorful white and orange filler caps. One of these original batteries is on display at the Studebaker National Museum (according to the Avanti Authenticity Manual). A picture of it can be found in the [1964 Avanti Accessories Manual – proper title?].

For some of the more popular collector cars (e.g., Corvettes), you can actually buy reproductions of the batteries originally in these cars (or even a false topper that makes most any battery look like and original). Probably needless to say, reproductions of vintage batteries are quite expensive, and I’ve read that they often don’t last all that long. One cannot, however, but a reproduction of a 1964 Studebaker battery. But you can easily and economically make your own. The Studebaker battery label is readily available for only a few dollars from Studebaker parts sources like Studebaker International and others. But the best, and most surprising part is that you can also get reproductions of the distinctive filler caps. One day recently while searching for vintage battery reproductions on ebay, I noticed a seller in Belguim, of all places, offering stick-on battery caps for Mopar muscle cars that looked strangely familiar. He sells them complete with a Mopar battery sticker so that a Mopar muscle car owner can dress up a modern battery to look like the one originally in their car. All they need to start with is a flat-top battery, i.e., one with no protruding filler caps. Then they can stick on the Mopar sticker and the stick-on filler caps and, voila, a “vintage Mopar battery” with the reliability and affordable price of a modern battery. The best of all worlds.

Well, the Belgian battery caps looked familiar because they look exactly like the Studebaker battery caps—orange center, white periphery, and the words “Fill to Indicator” embossed on each cap. So if we start with a flat-top battery, add the Studebaker battery sticker in the right location, and then add the Belgian stick-on caps in the right places, voila, a “1964 Studebaker battery.“

For a 1964 Avanti, there is probably any number of flat-top group 24 batteries to choose from. But the case needs to be black, which rules out some batteries that have white, green, or some other color case. And it should be devoid of any embossed brand names or other words on the case. In other words, it’s a battery that can be made completely anonymous by simply

removing its brand name stickers. It should also have a conventional and simple cubic shape with relatively plain edges. I shopped on-line and based on appearance and price chose a Ray-O-Vac battery from Batteries and Bulbs. Unfortunately, Batteries and Bulbs is discontinuing the Ray-O-Vac battery and replacing it with Duralast. I preferred the Ray-O-Vac because based on the on-line picture its case design was simpler, like the Studebaker battery case. My local Woodbridge store had none of the Ray-O-Vac batteries, but I found that one was available in Springfield. And it was even cheaper (about $85), so I went there and got that battery. As it turned out, the battery case did not match the on-line picture. Instead, the Ray-O-Vac battery case looked just like the Duralast battery case, even though it was labeled Ray-O-Vac. I guess there are fewer battery manufacturers than we think. Oh, well, the battery bracket in the car covers most of the edge of the case that has the frillier appearance. So I went home with what was essentially a Duralast battery in Ray-O-Vac clothing. If you follow my example, you will most likely end up with a Duralast-labelled battery with the same case as mine.

I had previously ordered and had on-land a Studebaker battery sticker from Studebaker International and the six stick-on battery caps for about $23 from the Belgian ebay seller (https://www.ebay.com/usr/weskcar?_trksid=p2047675.l2559).

The first thing I did in transforming my new Ray-O-Vac battery into a 1964 Studebaker battery was to remove the handle. Then I removed all the manufacturer’s stickers and cleaned the battery with grease and wax remover solvent. That left me with a pretty simple-looking, clean, black, flat-top battery. Comparing what I had with the picture of the Studebaker battery in the Authenticity Manual, I trimmed some white off the Studebaker battery label for a better fit and applied it in the proper location on the top of the battery. Conveniently, this battery has six small, flat (flush), filler ports in the top that are in the same locations where the six filler caps on the Studebaker battery were located. I used these as guides, together with a paper template that I made, to locate where the stick-on filler caps should be installed. I carefully applied the stick-on caps. Voila, for a total cost of about $111, a new, reliable, “1964 Studebaker battery.” After installation in the car, I was pleased to notice how the orange in the caps nicely complemented the orange radiator fan and the orange supercharger, to add just a little more bling to the engine compartment.

I also like the fact that when this new battery gets old and needs replacement, I will be able to remove the stick-on filler caps and use them on my next “1964 Studebaker battery.” Of course, I might have to spend another $3 on a fresh Studebaker battery sticker.

Comment

Great idea and execution. Thank you.

Comment

The dealer order form and pictures in the 1964 accessories catalog show different caps.

Bob Langer
                Glenshaw,PA

Comment

The actual Batteries did look very much like Roly's and the picture of the Lighted Studebaker Dealer Battery Sign.

I have had a '64 Studebaker Battery and the Caps were Red and White not Orange, not Red-Orange.
                  They were Push-On, not screw-on type Caps like earlier Batteries had.
                  And the Battery Cases were Transparent White with Black Tops.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stude. Battery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.2 KB ID:	1891676 How were they different Bob?
                  There COULD have been early 1963 ones that differed, or early Prototype Samples for Publications that differed.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The battery on the "Studebaker Batteries" sign in post 1 does have a translucent white case (with black top). I have not seen any modern batteries with black top & white translucent case. I guess one could paint the case white, but I personally am not going that far.
                    -Dwight

Comment

Nice job at reconstructing the original looking battery, looks great! Your entire engine compartment looks super.
                      Robert
                      1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                      1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                      1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                      1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Working...
                      X