1963 Hawk ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: 1963 Hawk ignition switch

Does anyone have a clear picture of the back of an ignition switch for a 1963 GT Hawk?

It IS a bit of a chore to Photo one with a Good Camera, then download it to the Desktop "C" Drive Stude. Parts Pics File, then attach it to the Forum since I don't play with poor quality screen shots or whatever smart phone users do.

But here you go, this should be some kind of "Sticky" since it is SO often asked about WHICH Terminal is which on Repro's without I.D.

The "IGN" Terminal goes UP, that puts the Larger "Pin" or "Nub" of the 2 for the Bezel, on the Driver's Side of the Car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	1891010Of course "Start" is the Center one, marked "ST"
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And i thot everybody had a crapped out switch lying around the bench for reference use, silly me. Luck Doofus

Comment

https://www.studebaker-info.org/rjte...7p2g#Ignswitch
        must read if messing with the switch. I used a new switch with the better aluminum bezel and used splicing tape over all exposed connections and also covered Z bar with shrink tube as added caution:
        https://www.grainger.com/product/4DY...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          It IS a bit of a chore to Photo one with a Good Camera, then download it to the Desktop "C" Drive Stude. Parts Pics File, then attach it to the Forum since I don't play with poor quality screen shots or whatever smart phone users do.

But here you go, this should be some kind of "Sticky" since it is SO often asked about WHICH Terminal is which on Repro's without I.D.

The "IGN" Terminal goes UP, that puts the Larger "Pin" or "Nub" of the 2 for the Bezel, on the Driver's Side of the Car.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_7024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	1891010Of course "Start" is the Center one, marked "ST"
          Thank you very much. Stupid question: Why is each terminal marked twice?

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            And i thot everybody had a crapped out switch lying around the bench for reference use, silly me. Luck Doofus
            Laugh Out Loud!

Comment

Originally posted by Videoranger View Post
              https://www.studebaker-info.org/rjte...7p2g#Ignswitch
              must read if messing with the switch. I used a new switch with the better aluminum bezel and used splicing tape over all exposed connections and also covered Z bar with shrink tube as added caution:
              https://www.grainger.com/product/4DY...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Geohawk63 View Post
                Thank you very much. Stupid question: Why is each terminal marked twice?
                That must be so when you have your Head on top of the Brake Pedal against the Firewall, if a Wire Terminal is covering one marking you can still read the other!
                Actually, WHO knows, 2 is Better than One?

I don't think you can ask Aetna Pollak the Mfg. because they are probably Gone Now.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 04-22-2021, 10:34 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm thinking the design folks spec'd markings on both sides of the terminals to avoid any confusion as to which terminal the marking is for. They knew what would happen if the installer hooked it up wrong. They also knew who would get blamed for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Videoranger View Post
                    I'm thinking the design folks spec'd markings on both sides of the terminals to avoid any confusion as to which terminal the marking is for. They knew what would happen if the installer hooked it up wrong. They also knew who would get blamed for the confusion.
                    That's what I was thinking too. Appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

That must be so when you have your Head on top of the Brake Pedal against the Firewall, if a Wire Terminal is covering one marking you can still read the other!
                      Actually, WHO knows, 2 is Better than One?

I don't think you can ask Aetna Pollak the Mfg. because they are probably Gone Now.
                      Hilarious because I have an imprint of the brake pad on my face now. My switch must be original because I can see that it has the markings.

Comment

Be sure to disconnect the ground cable from the battery before working on any under dash wiring. Sparks live under the dash, and there is nothing worse than ending up with more problems than when you started working on things. It is also good to know why every different wire is connected to each terminal and become very suspicious of connections that are not Studebaker original specification.

Comment

Working...
                        X