Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHV main bearing woes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OHV main bearing woes

    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

  • #2
    Problem is you are using 'partial-flow' bearings in a 'full flow' block. You may have problems using the 185 crank in a full flow OHV block due to the oil passage pattern drilled in the crank. Not sure

    When I built my OHV 185, I used a 61 block that was partial flow to avoid such problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      Dwain just responded with a service buliten I haven't finished printing yet. The parts manual does not show any difference between partial flow and full flow mains, just cam bearings. A quick scan of the service buliten seems to show a different part number.

      I'm too tired to look further tonight, but I do think that you (and he) are right, and the parts book is wrong.

      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm going to stick my neck out and say that you can drill the bearings (very gently). The oil will pass through the bearing to the groove, where it will travel to the hole in the web then to the rod and thence to the rod bearing. I don't believe the position of the crank oil passage and the rod oil passage is critical.

        [Edit, added thought] I can't see that there would be one good place that the rod bearing needs more oil than any other.

        I'm willing to be corrected, but you gotta convince me.

        [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
        (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll pass on the drilling. I don't see it as a problem for someone else to do, but me? That could be a big problem! I'm just thankful that when I put the bearings in I looked and saw that something wasn't right...I wouldn't have even broken in the cam before it blew up.


          quote:Originally posted by Tom B

          I'm going to stick my neck out and say that you can drill the bearings (very gently). The oil will pass through the bearing to the groove, where it will travel to the hole in the web then to the rod and thence to the rod bearing. I don't believe the position of the crank oil passage and the rod oil passage is critical.

          [Edit, added thought] I can't see that there would be one good place that the rod bearing needs more oil than any other.

          I'm willing to be corrected, but you gotta convince me.

          [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't understand how a 185 crank in a full flow block woud make any difference. What will get blocked? I'll have yet another look and see. This is getting real tiresome, one problem after another, but I'd like it to work right, of course. The crank should still get oil and feed it to the rods, the oil holes in all of the bearings, the block, and the rods are in the center of the bearings, so I'm not clear what would get blocked in this configuration.

            But please, if you know, please please tell me.

            Ron

            quote:Originally posted by 54-61-62

            Problem is you are using 'partial-flow' bearings in a 'full flow' block. You may have problems using the 185 crank in a full flow OHV block due to the oil passage pattern drilled in the crank. Not sure

            When I built my OHV 185, I used a 61 block that was partial flow to avoid such problems.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

            Comment


            • #7
              With credit to Dwain Grindinger, here is the appropriate information from Studebaker Service Bulletin #S-1048:

              MAIN BEARINGS - 1962 MODEL 6-CYLINDER PASSENGER CARS WITH FULL-FLOW OIL FILTER SYSTEM

              1962 model 6-cylinder passenger car engines equipped with a full-flow oil filter system require main bearings that are different from the main bearings used on models without the full-flow oil filter system because of the location of the main bearing oil lubrication holes.

              Service main bearings, either individually or in sets, used in 6-cylinder engines without the full-flow oil filter system must not be used in engines equipped with the full-flow oil filter system, with the exception of the rear main bearing. This bearing is common to both engines.

              However, service main bearings released for the 6-cylinder engine with the full-flow oil filter system can be used in engines without the filter system.

              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yep, Dwain forwared me the service bulletin. The numbers in my parts book are correct, but I went to the garage to look at the bearing box again: The box has the correct part number pencilled in on it, but under the masking tape that closed the box is the Studebaker label, torn faded, etc. It has a different part number on it. I suspect whoever I bought these from several years ago when I started the project (I no longer remember who) substituted older partial flow bearings without realizing the difference.

                My machine shop is concernd about drilling new holes in the shells, for fear of tearing the bearing material from the shell. An I know I'd really doink them uf if I tried. So I'm starting to look for some. If anyone has any P/N 1556298 0.010 undesized mains on the shelf they don't want, please let me know! (SASCO, Chuck Collins, and Studebaker International show no-stock, but I'm still looking.)

                Ron

                quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

                With credit to Dwain Grindinger, here is the appropriate information from Studebaker Service Bulletin #S-1048:

                MAIN BEARINGS - 1962 MODEL 6-CYLINDER PASSENGER CARS WITH FULL-FLOW OIL FILTER SYSTEM

                1962 model 6-cylinder passenger car engines equipped with a full-flow oil filter system require main bearings that are different from the main bearings used on models without the full-flow oil filter system because of the location of the main bearing oil lubrication holes.

                Service main bearings, either individually or in sets, used in 6-cylinder engines without the full-flow oil filter system must not be used in engines equipped with the full-flow oil filter system, with the exception of the rear main bearing. This bearing is common to both engines.

                However, service main bearings released for the 6-cylinder engine with the full-flow oil filter system can be used in engines without the filter system.

                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

                Comment


                • #9
                  We used to use a milling machine to create dowel holes in steel backed rod bearings successfully, before the bearing companies started making 'racing" bearings. Today I'd clamp the bearing against a wood 2X4 (or better yet, hardwood) with a contoured edge so the drill would not tear things up too badly when breaking thru. I'd test on an old bearing first to get the feel for it. When done I'd use a cutting burr, not a stone in a hand grinder or Dremel to chamfer the babbit side and deburr the steel back.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The new number can replace the old one simply because it has TWO oil holes so it will fit either engine.

                    [img][/img]

                    [img][/img]


                    [img][img]
                    Dwain G.
                    Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So, if the service main bearings are double-drilled, it makes sense that one could re-drill the the single-drilled bearings, if they were otherwise right.

                      I'd do it in the drill press, starting with a bit small enough to turn in the oil groove without snagging the sides, and then gradually work up to the finished hole size. Then finish with a countersink. Should be minimal chance that way of damaging the bond between the bearing and the shell.

                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have checked factory NOS main bearings, 1556300 and they only have one oil hole in them. The current replacement Clevite bearings have two holes in them to be used in either motor.
                        I hope this helps,
                        Chuck Collins

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, I'm hosed!

                          I had purchased three sets of Clevite aftermarket main bearings of various undersizes from a guy in Texas (Houston?) that (I thought) were advertised as fitting all '55 thru '64 Champion-style six cylinders. They were going to be used on my two 185 OHV (full flow) engine conversions.

                          After seeing these posts, I decided I better check them since I didn't remember them having two oil holes. Shoot....they only have one oil feed hole - and it lines up with the oil holes in the partial flow blocks.

                          Live and learn I guess.......

                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I was always taught that bearings should never be touched by fingers, as the acid in your fingers can damage the surface and lead to premature failure; so it follows that there is NO way I'd be comfortable drilling any[:0]

                            Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

                            "Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

                            "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is a quote from Dick Daton's Stude 'high performace book':

                              " It is easy to put togther a Stude six from misc. parts as there is a great deal of interchangability. There is however, a little bit of risk here which we have tried to point out ----

                              I have checked a 185 crank against a 1964 180 crank and found the oil holes to the rods are drilled at different locations on the two center main bearing journals....What does this mean? If you plan to build a 185 OHV or put a 61-63 crank in a 63-64 full flow OHV sic blocl, you may encounter the same problem the factory had with using full-flow blocks and non-full flow cranks. IF you use a non-full-flow block ('61-62) you should be safe. A 185 crank in a late full-flow OHV block should be possible (using late main bearing sets) even though it will oil differently since the bearings are grooved and the early crank cross-drilled. "

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X