Dynamo position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Dynamo position

I'm putting together a V8 in my pal Nils's -54 coupe & it's almost original & we're wondering about the position for the dynamo; have anyone placed it above/inside the valvcover instead of under/outside? Our thoughts are that it would be better if it's not on the exhaust manifold due to the heat. If so it would be helpfull to see pictures of the needed bracket...
    (I've already put the oil filter on driver side of the filler pipe.)
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 04-17-2021, 01:16 PM.
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

If it's pretty original, why do you have the need to modify it?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Non-original reasons might seem silly to you but not to those who aren't fanatic about originality & it's not going to any shows for collecting points. & as in "why" I think it's written in the first post.

So I reckon the chance of seeing any pictures of a dynamo in non-original position might be difficult, thou when googeling I've seen several with alternator...
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 04-17-2021, 02:46 PM.
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Threw me a curve.
        I haven't heard them called dynamos for a long, long time.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Studebakers have been driven millions of miles with the dynamo in its stock position. I appreciate your concern about heat damage, but in light of their successful service record,
          it probably is not a serious issue. If you placed it over or above the valve cover, it may not be possible to get sufficient wrap angle around the water pump pulley to drive the fan and
          pump adequately.

JT

Comment

You'll probably have to work up a bracket on your own. I've done several engines where I've put alternaters or AC compressors up high, but on most anything but a Chevy V8 you need to figure it out for yourself. With a generator you'll likely run into the carburetor if mounting it up high. The only real reason to fit it up high is to fit under a narrow hood; usually in a 1930s or earlier car.

Comment

Ok I give up asking for pictures here then.
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

While you're at it, you might as well install an alternator in its place. MUCH improvement. When I did mine (289 Sky Hawk), I just turned my generator(dynamo) mount backwards, drilled a new hole in it , and bolted the alternator right in. Even used the original drive belt...

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                  I'm putting together a V8 in my pal Nils's -54 coupe & it's almost original & we're wondering about the position for the dynamo; have anyone placed it above/inside the valvcover instead of under/outside? Our thoughts are that it would be better if it's not on the exhaust manifold due to the heat. If so it would be helpfull to see pictures of the needed bracket...
                  (I've already put the oil filter on driver side of the filler pipe.)
                  I am not a meteorologist nor do I play one on TV. All my driving has been done in Arizona where daytime temperatures can be over 100 degrees fahrenheit or 38 degrees celsius

Since 1968, off and one I have had just one dynamo ( generator) failure. The failure was caused by a sticking voltage regular first and then the generator throwing lead after the regulator was replaced.

I don't know what the average temperature in Sweden may be but I am assuming that it is lower than Arizona. Am I missing something?

Bob Miles

Comment

[QUOTE=Noxnabaker]Ok I give up asking for pictures here then.

Here's my dynamo, Same car two builds, same dynamo :

Click image for larger version

Name:	generator shot.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1890496 Click image for larger version

Name:	generator 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1890497

​​​​​​​

Comment

Lived in different countries where alternator means one thing & dynamo means the other thing, in Sweden we call it either ac generator or dc generator.
                      Nice pictures Flashback!
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                        Lived in different countries where alternator means one thing & dynamo means the other thing, in Sweden we call it either ac generator or dc generator.
                        Makes perfect sense.

Comment

I have heard a Generator called a "Genny" or is it "Jenny"? before, but Never a Dynamo!
                          But hey, I've never been off of this Continent.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dynamo = "one way" generator, electricity going one way.
                            Alternator = "either way / two way" generator, as in alternating the electricity.
                            (at least that's what I've heard, not being over the Atlantic yet, but I've been wrong before)

sigpic

Josephine
                            Champion V8
                            4d sedan

Comment

Some German mini-cars used a DynaStart, one unit for both operations.
                              Automotive alternators have diodes to convert to direct current.
                              So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Working...
                              X