3E14 Brake Specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 3E14 Brake Specifications

Maybe someone can help or direct me to a source for truck brake specs. The rear drums measure out at 13.020. The fronts however are 12.145 and 12.165. Not good unless by some chance they might be a non standard size. Like if they spec at 12.125 with .060 allowed for machining then I would be in great shape. Well I can only hope.

MOST Studebaker's did not Usually use ODD Sizes, but the General Specifications in the 2E to 8E '56-'64 Shop Manual does show a few Odd drum Sizes or ERRORS! 1/2 Ton= 11 Inch, 3/4 Ton= 2E, 12 1/8" ALL Others 14", 1 Ton & 1/1/2 Ton= 8" ????

That Drum Size is LESS than the Shoe Lining Length, Can't be correct!

Delete/Ignore
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-16-2021, 06:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum Gary!

Here is the info from the 2E thru 8E Truck Shop Manual. (There are some odd size drums according to this Rich). It gives the allowable oversizes based on the original drum size:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Drums.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	1890268
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

MOST Studebaker's did not Usually use ODD Sizes, but the General Specifications in the 2E to 8E '56-'64 Shop Manual does show a few Odd drum Sizes or ERRORS! 1/2 Ton= 11 Inch, 3/4 Ton= 2E, 12 1/8" ALL Others 14", 1 Ton & 1/1/2 Ton= 8" ??????

That Drum Size is LESS than the Shoe Lining Length, Can't be correct!
        Obviously the "Brake" Section and the "Wheel and Drum" Section are more correct sources for Drum Diameter, but still do not agree on 2E models.

The Forum Update/Edit function is (or was) Broken, I tried about 6 Times to Update Post #2 right after I found conflicting Info in the Shop Manual, but I can't Update it to this, so I made a New Post.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-16-2021, 12:19 PM.
        StudeRich

Comment

It was a long shot but I had to ask. Thanks for the response. Now the search for drums begins. Any ideas?

Comment

But wait. I didnt see the post from r1lark.

Comment

That's right sorry I could not fix my error Fast enough, due to a "System" Problem: (.100) Oversize due to their Huge Size is a LOT more than the Standard for Cars of .060
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The Forum Update/Edit function is (or was) Broken, I tried about 6 Times to Update Post #2 right after I found conflicting Info in the Shop Manual, but I can't Update it to this, so I made a New Post.
                Rich, I had the same problem with updating yesterday. Not sure why, but I would update and it would show in the Preview, but then when I saved it.........zappo.........it was gone!
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Same here Paul, it was frustrating, as it did LOOK like it worked until Posting and checking it.

There IS definitely a Timing issue with this System, the "Preview" I guess you would call it, to the Right of the list of ALL Forums Page used to have all mixed Signature Pictures with Topics from different people, until some time passed and it fixed, THAT seems a little better lately.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                  X