Alternator swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator swap question

I have looked around the forum a bit and did not find a thread that highlighted this, so I will ask.

I have read (in an earlier thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...olite,to,delco)

that the 60-61 Delco distributors will interchange into a 1963 259 without modifications, that helps alot, since I am thinking of doing this to mine in the near future.

However, what about Alternators? (Prestolite to Delco)
    Mine is still working for now, but I plan on it giving up on me sooner or later, and when I do go to replace it I would rather replace it with the delco equivalent for a number of reasons (mainly reliability)

So, with that said, what would it take to install a Delco alternator? Maybe just change the mounting bracket and the connector wires?
    Also Which part number Delco alternator(s) am I looking for?

Thanks a lot guys!

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Try this link to Bob Johnstones tech page. I recently got a Honda Civic alternator to replace my Prestolite in the 66 Daytona. Havent installed it yet, but it looks easy too. His pages are worth their weight in gold (or better yet, diamonds!) http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtec...ml#Alternators

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

WARREN-THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
      I bookmarked that !!

Comment

Yup, the Honda CVCC swap is my baby ... went through quite a lot of
        boxes at the Car Quest in Goleta to find that one. Paid off.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I did the Honda swap a couple of years ago, it's my pic @ Bob Johnsons site, the alternators are inexpensive and bolt right on, come in both 35 and 50 amp, just don't forget the metric bolt.

Bill Foy
          Kingston, Ontario
          1964 Wagonaire Slider
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Yup, the Honda CVCC swap is my baby ... went through quite a lot of
            boxes at the Car Quest in Goleta to find that one. Paid off.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            What is the part number you found fit the Avanti? Or what was the Honda ID?

Thanks

Comment

WOW!! Thanks for the link! I may do the Honda thing myself, actually. I did not even know that was possible.

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint, and garaged for the winter...I can't wait til spring!!

Comment

I believe that the old MoPar alternators fit right on as well, and even use the same regulator.

I'm using a Delco 10SI, it requires elimination of the regulator, a custom bracket, and the addition of a pair of wires but it's darn near impossible to find a parts store that doesn't stock them if something bad happens while on the road.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Avanti I just used your standard GM alt, the one I used from for
                  a '78 Camaro (because we had one). The Honda info is on the page that
                  was posted, Bob put it up on his page from a post I made years ago on
                  the Studebaker newsgroup.

The Dodge alt works, but its a HUGE alt and quite ugly. The Honda one
                  looks almost like the Prestolite. If you do a search I posted up info
                  in a couple different locations, unfortunately any links to pictures
                  are now dead. If someone finds a tech post I have done that is missing
                  the pictures, please send me a message and I will update it.

thanks

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Here are the pics.

AutoZone #s 14540-35amp---14158-50amp under $40
                    Nippon Denso Unit

Bill Foy
                    Kingston, Ontario
                    1964 Wagonaire Slider
                    Bill Foy
                    1000 Islands, Ontario
                    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

...and you displayed the Gates belt number to boot......!!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

...and you displayed the Gates belt number to boot......!!
                        Hey, that helps!!

Comment

My '61 289 Hawk has a generator and I am thinking of replacing it with a Delco 1 wire alternator. Looking at it I think I can use the brackets with a spacer and a long bolt on the bottom and space it to line the belt up. Any suggestions?

Comment

Yeah read this tech page on the 1 wire vs 3 wire Delco.
                            Basically a 1 wire alternator is best used on stationary engines(like pumps) or tractors with no accessories except for a couple of lights.
                            The three wire setup is for automobiles and trucks.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

I installed a Delco from my dead 84 GMC diesel 3/4ton into my 8E12 V8 Champ and wired it using a MAD electrical kit. Never have had any problems with it.
                            I built a mount out of flat steel and angle steel from local hardware store.
                            I also used his headlight relay kits to upgrade the headlight system on the same truck.
                            Result brighter lights from more voltage to the headlamps.

3E38
                            4E2
                            4E28
                            5E13
                            7E7
                            8E7
                            8E12
                            8E28

59 Lark
                            etc

Comment

It was a long article so I printed it all off and read it. I am not very electrical minded so am worried about all the wireing that goes with the 3 wire system. I have an uncle that is a mechanic and his always uses the 1 wire system.

Comment

Working...
                              X