Twin Traction vs the more modern Limited Slip for Dana 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Twin Traction vs the more modern Limited Slip for Dana 44

Why do folks put out a big effort to find a twin traction carrier , when one can just go buy a new limited slip--is there a big difference in performance , or life, durability ? please elaborate & thank you

The relatively coarse Studebaker axle spline can be problematic. Most of new replacements are for 29 or 31 spline axles, not 19.

Comment

This is for 19 AXLE splines

Comment

I am sure you have heard the Term here: CASO?
        Why would we spend a K or more for New when Factory originals are quite available and are very durable Dana Spicer TT units?

The thing is, when you start checking out New Production Yukon Dura Grips and other Limited Slip's you find out that for the Studebaker Model 44, None are made anymore in the Correct Spline Count for the Studebaker Specific Axles, and the New Moser Flanged Axles that WERE available, do not fit them.

I will not go into properties of a Limited Slip or advantages, since that was not your question and you probably know that.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I ended up having 1-1/2" off each end of my 44, so the axle swap was a ...no brainer as they say. I wanted 2" but the spring perch is in the way.
          Currie rebuilt my rear end. I gave them an empty housing, they cut and welded it, filled it with the Eaton TrueTrac differential, 31 spline axles with the big Ford outer bearings, and added Ford disc brakes.

Equals = deeper offset wheels, lighter housing, but heavier axles (!), axles that'll never break with Stude power, no concerns about the gear oil having friction modifiers, the differential will never wear out like clutch plates, at least in my lifetime. No clutch plate sticking because of the wrong gear oil.

All under my "driver" Conestoga, that still...needs an electrical and exhaust system. Got an exhaust "kit" from a big 3 car. Now just to make it all fit under a Stude.

Mike

Comment

Yes, Mike, as would be expected with your engineering expertise, you got probably the best mostly-new rear axle possible, but at what cost? CASOs everywhere want the magic number, so they can go back to scrounging for sixty-year-old TTs.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              ...and the New Moser Flanged Axles that WERE available, do not fit them.
              Are you saying that the Moser flanged axles are no longer available from Fairborn Studebaker? If so, I am glad that I planned ahead and bought an extra set years ago.

Comment

Yes, that is correct, Name your Price! .
                StudeRich

Comment

I paid just about $340 for this to replaced my toasted TT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170307.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1890164

In actuality, I probably could have paid less for a complete good used Dana 44.

Comment

Nice Limited Slip Carrier Assy.

So, does it accept 29 or 31 Spline Axles? Is it going in a Jeep?
                    StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Yes, that is correct, Name your Price! .
                      What happened? Did Fairborn go out of business or just the flanged axle sales. All news to me but I already have mine so that is lucky. It seems someone else was selling a flanged kit but not sure if it was Moser street axles in it.

Comment

I am pretty sure Phil Harris and his Fairborn Studebaker are fine, his Ad is in the current April Turning Wheels.

The problem apparently is, He and Moser can no longer do this, or afford it, I don't really know why.
                        StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by 63looks59 View Post
                          Why do folks put out a big effort to find a twin traction carrier , when one can just go buy a new limited slip--is there a big difference in performance , or life, durability ? please elaborate & thank you
                          Don't know for others but I can shed some light as to why I chose to not go the OEM TT route.

I have not had a car with a Studebaker TT in it, had other LSD cars but not a TT, and I didn't find one as a stand alone unit. If I had one I would rebuild it and tout its superiority.

I resorted to an easier build and used a regular 44. I was given a 44 with damaged threads on at least one axle, and because the gear set was in the 4's, I was not going to keep it how it was.

My thinking was that if I replaced the axles with the Moser pair originality would go out the window, thus I would have a free hand.

The Moser axles, a 3.73 gear set, new bearings, seals, shims, etc... and all that was missing was a carrier. (Because of the carrier difference at 3.92 and above.) I chose an Auburn Gear LSD because they had a 19 spline set up and the deal was good.

I can't complain about having that setup.

As far as a comparison goes I can't say because I have not done a side by side test. If someone can fill in all the missing data on the TT then I may be able to find a difference. My unqualified guess is the Moser axles are significantly stronger. A new LSD center maybe easier to service or replace as they are currently being made.

Let's hope someone with TT experience can put forward a case for or against it.
                          Last edited by Felix; 04-16-2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

If one is going to put large horsepower through sticky tires, then a current generation aftermarket LSD is preferable.

If one is going to put Studebaker horsepower through street tires, then a Twin Traction will be OK and less expensive.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Does anybody build a Torsen differential to fit a Model 44?
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X