Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champ windshield removal

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: Champ windshield removal

    I want to remove the windshield from my Champ, to do cab repairs. The service manual seems written for someone who knows what they are doing. I don't. I have searched here and on Google, for Champ and Lark windshield removal, and not found much. I don't care about saving the rubbing molding/gasket, as I want a new one. Any advise on removing the windshield would be appreciated.

    Mike
    Mike and Dawn

    '61 Champ

  • #2
    The Shop Manual tells you what you won't find on Google.
    If there is any flexibility left in the old rubber you should be able to push the windshield out by starting gently in either top corner.
    But most of us just use a box cutter and make a messier job.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

    Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      The Shop Manual tells you what you won't find on Google.
      If there is any flexibility left in the old rubber you should be able to push the windshield out by starting gently in either top corner.
      But most of us just use a box cutter and make a messier job.
      Thanks for the reply. What confused me about the service manual, is it says to push the windshield into the inside of the cab.

      Mike
      Mike and Dawn

      '61 Champ

      Comment


      • #4
        It must be talking about a "C" Cab, not a "T" Cab.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          It must be talking about a "C" Cab, not a "T" Cab.
          Ok, thanks for the clarification.

          Mike
          Mike and Dawn

          '61 Champ

          Comment


          • #6
            Be careful about pushing windshields out. I have done this many times. I am not a huge guy so sitting on the front seat and using my legs I push the windshield out with my feet, much easier than with hands..

            I did this with a 59 Lark I bought for parts but had no idea it had a laminated screen. What a disappointment when is flexed and cracked.

            I have pushed out a laminated screen before on a Saab but I knew it was laminated from the start.

            Cut out a laminated screen push out a safety glass screen.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you are replacing the rubber, just take a razor knife and trim off the inside lip of the old rubber. Then the laminated glass will push right out of the opening. Laminated will definitely crack with too much pressure in one spot. Good Luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Felix View Post
                Be careful about pushing windshields out. I have done this many times. I am not a huge guy so sitting on the front seat and using my legs I push the windshield out with my feet, much easier than with hands..

                I did this with a 59 Lark I bought for parts but had no idea it had a laminated screen. What a disappointment when is flexed and cracked.

                I have pushed out a laminated screen before on a Saab but I knew it was laminated from the start.

                Cut out a laminated screen push out a safety glass screen.
                Thanks for the information, I never knew there was a both laminated and safety glass, thanks.
                Mike and Dawn

                '61 Champ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                  If you are replacing the rubber, just take a razor knife and trim off the inside lip of the old rubber. Then the laminated glass will push right out of the opening. Laminated will definitely crack with too much pressure in one spot. Good Luck!
                  Thanks, we were able to cut the gasket, and the windshield came out very easily. The back window looked to have some sort of goo with the gasket, took some pushing to get it started, but the windshield took no real pressure at all to remove.
                  Mike and Dawn

                  '61 Champ

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mike, if you need help installing the new windshield let me know and I will get you in touch with the installer I used.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

                    Sol Lucet Omnibus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      Mike, if you need help installing the new windshield let me know and I will get you in touch with the installer I used.
                      Thanks, I actually would prefer someone qualified to install it back in. Probably be a few months though.

                      Thanks!
                      Mike and Dawn

                      '61 Champ

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Make certain they use enough bedding compound. Extra that oozes out can always be wiped away; but not enough means it will leak.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                        Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          Make certain they use enough bedding compound. Extra that oozes out can always be wiped away; but not enough means it will leak.
                          Thanks for the heads up!

                          Mike
                          Mike and Dawn

                          '61 Champ

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X