X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daan
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    So, NOW is the Time to go back to Post #7, and Start Over what someone else screwed all up and figure out this scrambled Pile of misfitting Parts and Dial the Housing In.

Did you check the Driveshaft and look for a Center Driveline Support Crossmember on the Frame for a two Piece Shaft to see if they converted it to One Piece or not to fit that Long Tail '62? Transmission?
    Well my plan is to split this transmission off and set it aside, and use the 3/od that’s currently in my Hawk (after renewing the clutch and dial-indicating that bellhousing to this block). This engine is surprisingly clean, more so than the 259 in my Hawk so I wonder what’s been done to it already.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    So, NOW is the Time to go back to Post #7, and Start Over what someone else screwed all up and figure out this scrambled Pile of misfitting Parts and Dial the Housing In.

Did you check the Driveshaft and look for a Center Driveline Support Crossmember on the Frame for a two Piece Shaft to see if they converted it to One Piece or not to fit that Long Tail '62? Transmission?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-03-2021, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    Well here we go...

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    The engine was in a car driving around until a couple days ago-the seller posted video of it driving and sent the engine-out pics just the other night. But I thought nothing will be this accessible after it gets put back in.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    If it's out and has been sitting for a few years, at least pull the oil pan and a few bearing caps. Old oil with it's acids can erode the bearings, but replacement ( assuming the crank journals are still good) is not difficult. Clean the oil pump, screen and pressure relief valve. Pull the valve covers, make sure the valves are not stuck and the pushrods are still un-bent. Might as well put in new valve seals while you are there, they get hard and break, causing blue smoke.
    This, on top of all of the advice to pull the freeze plugs, clean the block, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    If it ran good, had good oil pressure and didn't leak oil, I would only remove the freeze plugs and clean the crud out of the cooling passages. It probably leaks oil however, so you should probably replace the crankshaft seals and pan gaskets.

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
    so, what was the problem with the engine in there?
    I think it’s stuck from sitting so long. Plus it has like 119K on it so I don’t know how worn it was before it sat for 25+ years.

Leave a comment:

• Corbinstein0
    replied
    so, what was the problem with the engine in there?

Leave a comment:

• 1953champcoupe
    replied
    I'd pull the heads and pan, check the bearings and bore as well as valves, easy to do now and not that much expense. Then you are more assured of a sound engine.

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    You also will need to change the bolts for the fly wheel. They are longer.

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    And if I knew there was a chart, I would have tried myself... (clearly I need to do more searching)

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Your older post of 11 pages ( A Studebaker of my own) also came up and I responded to the clutch vs automatic. This is a new post on the same topic. If there is some way that someone can merge this post with the older post, it will help you and all of us interested in your car keep everything together.

Cheers

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Daan View Post
    My power Hawk is a 3-speed with OD. Which I’d like to keep unless there’s a good reason not to...
    The overdrive is the best choice IMHO. Just be sure you dial in the bell housing to the new engine.

Leave a comment:

• Daan
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Ok then; the Clutch Housing with the Power Hawk T-86 O.D. Transmission will need to be Dialed-In to the "New" Engine then. The '56 and On Shop Manuals cover that.

Now I see your Engine Serial number, and from the V8 Engine I.D. Chart right here on the SDC Website, I see that this is or WAS a 1956 Los Angeles Assembled 289 From a President or Sky Hawk.
    So it’s reasonably appropriate for my 56. Good.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Ok then; the Clutch Housing with the Power Hawk T-86 O.D. Transmission will need to be Dialed-In to the "New" Engine then. The '56 and On Shop Manuals cover that.

Now I see your Engine Serial number, and from the V8 Engine I.D. Chart right here on the SDC Website, I see that this is or WAS a 1956 Los Angeles Assembled 289 From a President or Sky Hawk.

It was fairly Late in the '56 Model run of Engines.
    To determine if it still is a 289 or 259, just pull a Spark Plug and feel with a screwdriver or small stick for a Flat Top 259 or Dished Top 289 Piston.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2021, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X