No announcement yet.

Engine-out maintenance items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it ran good, had good oil pressure and didn't leak oil, I would only remove the freeze plugs and clean the crud out of the cooling passages. It probably leaks oil however, so you should probably replace the crankshaft seals and pan gaskets.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If it's out and has been sitting for a few years, at least pull the oil pan and a few bearing caps. Old oil with it's acids can erode the bearings, but replacement ( assuming the crank journals are still good) is not difficult. Clean the oil pump, screen and pressure relief valve. Pull the valve covers, make sure the valves are not stuck and the pushrods are still un-bent. Might as well put in new valve seals while you are there, they get hard and break, causing blue smoke.
      This, on top of all of the advice to pull the freeze plugs, clean the block, etc.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

The engine was in a car driving around until a couple days ago-the seller posted video of it driving and sent the engine-out pics just the other night. But I thought nothing will be this accessible after it gets put back in.
        Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Well here we go...

Comment

So, NOW is the Time to go back to Post #7, and Start Over what someone else screwed all up and figure out this scrambled Pile of misfitting Parts and Dial the Housing In.

Did you check the Driveshaft and look for a Center Driveline Support Crossmember on the Frame for a two Piece Shaft to see if they converted it to One Piece or not to fit that Long Tail '62? Transmission?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 05-03-2021, 02:12 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              So, NOW is the Time to go back to Post #7, and Start Over what someone else screwed all up and figure out this scrambled Pile of misfitting Parts and Dial the Housing In.

Did you check the Driveshaft and look for a Center Driveline Support Crossmember on the Frame for a two Piece Shaft to see if they converted it to One Piece or not to fit that Long Tail '62? Transmission?
              Well my plan is to split this transmission off and set it aside, and use the 3/od that’s currently in my Hawk (after renewing the clutch and dial-indicating that bellhousing to this block). This engine is surprisingly clean, more so than the 259 in my Hawk so I wonder what’s been done to it already.

Comment

Working...
              X