Engine-out maintenance items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine-out maintenance items

So I just bought an engine for my Hawk, that the seller pulled. Since it’s out and totally accessible, what should I do to it before I put it back in? It was out of a running, driving car if that changes anything.
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Pull the freeze/expansion plugs and hose and coat hanger wire out the cooling passages.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

WHAT did that come out of? What is the Block's Serial Number?

I would be concerned about whether or not the Converter Housing was Dialed in to the Centerline of the Crankshaft since each Block/Crank is individually matched to it's Bellhousing at the Factory.

The reason I say that is; you have a Rebuilt, Overhauled or maybe recent Valve Job Engine, that has a '56-'57 Turquoise GREEN Block and Heads, with Blue Valve Covers, a '58 to '61 Silver Converter Housing and a '62 to '66 Black Transmission!

The Transmission is wrong for a '56 having a LONG Tail, meaning a New Driveshaft and cutting out a portion or all of the Driveshaft support Crossmember or changing the Transmission. Not sure what your entire Plan is.
      The under-hood Trans. Filler Tube was used on '61 & Later Larks and '62 & Later Hawks.

If you don't know how badly it was Leaking or how Long ago it was apart for work, it MAY require Re-Sealing the Oil Pan and Main Seal, possibly the Timing Cover Gasket and Seal as well.

But definitely remove the Core Plugs and Clean the Cooling System thoroughly if needed, and use Brass Core Plugs, which will be almost flat Domed Disc Type, since this appears to be a Pre-Late '62 Block.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2021, 03:34 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well the seller pulled it out of a 60 Hawk, but he was told it wasn’t the original engine...

Comment

So does your Power Hawk have a good working, leak free Flight-O-Matic short tail Trans.?
          Being from a '60 Hawk original or not, the Engine Number and Pistons MAY indicate a "289".
          StudeRich

Comment

My power Hawk is a 3-speed with OD. Which I’d like to keep unless there’s a good reason not to...

Comment

Ok then; the Clutch Housing with the Power Hawk T-86 O.D. Transmission will need to be Dialed-In to the "New" Engine then. The '56 and On Shop Manuals cover that.

Now I see your Engine Serial number, and from the V8 Engine I.D. Chart right here on the SDC Website, I see that this is or WAS a 1956 Los Angeles Assembled 289 From a President or Sky Hawk.

It was fairly Late in the '56 Model run of Engines.
              To determine if it still is a 289 or 259, just pull a Spark Plug and feel with a screwdriver or small stick for a Flat Top 259 or Dished Top 289 Piston.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2021, 04:25 PM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Ok then; the Clutch Housing with the Power Hawk T-86 O.D. Transmission will need to be Dialed-In to the "New" Engine then. The '56 and On Shop Manuals cover that.

Now I see your Engine Serial number, and from the V8 Engine I.D. Chart right here on the SDC Website, I see that this is or WAS a 1956 Los Angeles Assembled 289 From a President or Sky Hawk.
                So it’s reasonably appropriate for my 56. Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                  My power Hawk is a 3-speed with OD. Which I’d like to keep unless there’s a good reason not to...
                  The overdrive is the best choice IMHO. Just be sure you dial in the bell housing to the new engine.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Your older post of 11 pages ( A Studebaker of my own) also came up and I responded to the clutch vs automatic. This is a new post on the same topic. If there is some way that someone can merge this post with the older post, it will help you and all of us interested in your car keep everything together.

Cheers

Bob Miles

Comment

And if I knew there was a chart, I would have tried myself... (clearly I need to do more searching)

Comment

You also will need to change the bolts for the fly wheel. They are longer.

Comment

I'd pull the heads and pan, check the bearings and bore as well as valves, easy to do now and not that much expense. Then you are more assured of a sound engine.

Comment

so, what was the problem with the engine in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
                              so, what was the problem with the engine in there?
                              I think it’s stuck from sitting so long. Plus it has like 119K on it so I don’t know how worn it was before it sat for 25+ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X