Rose Mist Poly Vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Rose Mist Poly Vinyl

I'm looking for something to scan to make Rose Mist Poly paint. I have a NOS piece of interior vinyl. Is the interior vinyl the same color as the exterior?
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Try finding a piece of painted steel that is rose mist. The interior most likely will not be a perfect match.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Inside the Trunk Lid, under the Door Panels, on the Door edges and Jambs and Firewall are places that survive the best, if on the other hand, if you don't have a '63 Rose Mist Car, maybe you need to find one to match to.

I am sure you know that Old Formula conversions, and Color Chips just can't get close enough, that is why you can see 4 Tierra Gold '57 Golden Hawks at a Car Show, FOUR different Colors!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I've used these folks, and have been pleased. They do match dyes. http://www.leatherique.com/?gclid=Cj...xoCGCAQAvD_BwE
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

I THOUGHT Bill was looking for Paint. The Vinyl used with SOME Rose Mist Paint was Chestnut.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-09-2021, 10:47 PM.
          StudeRich

Comment

I likely can give you the the formula for a 1-stage enamel that I used (very happily) on a 63' Cruiser. Is this formula @ Ray F. ??

Comment

Yes, I'm looking for paint.
              I've looked at a lot of cars, but I don't recall ever seeing one that was Rose Mist Poly. I don't have one, but intend to make one.
              Although I could use some enamel in places, I'm looking for the formula for base clear.
              I've seen the formula for enamel on Ray's pages, but I'm not very good at "adding more" red and "adding a little" deep violet.
              Bill
              http://rustyrestorations.org/
              sigpic

Comment

There were quite a few sold in '63 in Rose Mist. Possibly because it was New to Studebaker and Different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lark8Custom4dr3.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1889390Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lark8Custom4dr2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1889391Click image for larger version

Name:	Bells Cruiser.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1889392

StudeRich

Comment

I apologize, I thought he was looking for vinyl dye to match Rose MIst
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Name:	D097EC72-887C-4911-B33A-581A9D8FF32A.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1889424

Name:	9166D622-E352-4E8D-8AFC-5D9231A7F186.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1889425

Comment

I like your car Matt. I asked my local PPG store to mix up a can of Rose Mist Poly, PPG 71344, and instead they made me a can of base clear Volkswagon Port Rose Metallic, that was supposed to be like Delstar 72584, the number you shared in your post. It was certainly not Delstar and they did not share the recipe. Its hard to judge colors on a computer screen, but the 72584 I sprayed out looks way darker than your car. Your car is way pretty.
                      Bill
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        There were quite a few sold in '63 in Rose Mist. [SIZE=16px]Possibly because it was New to Studebaker and Different. [/SIZE
                        Not exactly New to Studebaker in 1963. My '57 Pres/Clas had traces of the factory color on the dash and under the hood. I decided to make it look more modern and refined by selecting my own colors to go with black sidewall tires.

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1889574Click image for larger version

Name:	image_86818.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1889565
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	BluInt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	1889566Click image for larger version  Name:	DkBlue.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	1889567Click image for larger version  Name:	PresClas.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	1889568
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jnfweber; 04-11-2021, 11:37 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Jack, in Montana

Comment

I wonder if that was Rosebud
                          sigpic

Comment

20 years ago I restored a 64 Cadillac Eldorado. I called DuPont and was put in contact with their "Color Library" division. They had the original lacquer formulas converted to Base/Clear formulas.

2 years ago my local Finishmaster store converted a lacquer formula to Base/Clear themselves via their database. This was for a 71 Corvette.

In either case it may help to kow the original paint supplier. In 63, I think it was Rinshod-Mason known as R-M today. (I have a Qt. of original Studebaker paint, Avanti Gray color and its RInshod-Mason)

Another option is to find a Rose Mist color car in the correct shade (painted right) and if the seller painted the car during their ownership, see if they have the formula or if the body shop has it. If the owner has some extra paint but no formula, see if they will sell you couple of ounces so you can do a "spray out" sample. Then have the sample matched by eye or better, with a paint camera (spectraphotometer). This camera will convert the picture of the sample to a formula.

Good luck, its a really nice color. I restored a 62 Cadillac in a similar color just before I did the Eldo mentioned.

Comment

Here is the paint formula used on my Rose Mist '63 Lark. This paint was matched to the upper door frames, which had been covered by the stainless steel trim since the car left the factory. Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose Mist paint formula.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1889697
                              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X