Daytona diff and tranny fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Daytona diff and tranny fluid.

what's your recommended automatic transmission fluid& diff fluid for my 259 v8 '64 Daytona automatic? all stock... anything to look out for when I dive in there? first classic, learning as I go.

For your transmission, I would recommend a good Dexron 3 fluid though some would recommend Type F fluid if you want a crisper shift. I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 full synthetic gear oil in all of the differentials in my cars. Amsoil is expensive , but the diff lube isn't changed very often so to me the cost is no problem. Bud

Comment

A stock not ever rebuilt transmission takes type F because the clutches are not organic paper but are BRASS. it needs the coefficient of friction that the type F provides. Rebuilt units most generally have the paper clutches which need the Dexron type to prevent undue wear. That is always why I ask if it has ever been rebuilt. It makes a difference.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Carter (CanadianDaytona) !

To answer your unanswered Question about Differential Oil, the important thing to remember about Gear Oil is that Differential's require API Grade GL-5.
        Most Part Stores stock it in 90 or 85/90 Multiweight. Get a Good Brand like Valvoline.

If you are Draining it completely, find out if you have a Limited Slip Diff. (Twin Traction) because if it IS you will require a 4 OZ Bottle of Friction Modifier Additive for Limited Slip's.

On the Right Side (of the Car) of the Diff. Cover under a cover screw, there may be a Tin Tag that is embossed with "45" and a letter usually "C" indicating a TT.

When you jack the rear end up and turn a Wheel, BOTH will turn the same direction with a TT, otherwise without, the other wheel will turn the opposite direction.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X