Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Filter for Electric Priming Pump/ Is an NOS Fuel Filter Okay to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel Filter for Electric Priming Pump/ Is an NOS Fuel Filter Okay to use?

I'm looking into installing an electric "priming" fuel pump on my 63 GT Hawk (probably going with Carter P74021). One of the things I'm figuring out is what filter to put before the pump. I have an NOS Fram G22 filter and was wondering if it would be okay to use. It is probably from the 70's. I'm fairly certain what responses I'll get, so I'm preparing to just buy a new filter, but still curious what folks think...

Also, is there a filter anyone can recommend that has either a 3/8" hose inlet, OR one that is both 1/8-27 NPT on the inlet (female) and outlet (male) sides? I could then put a 3/8" hose to 1/8" NPT fitting on the inlet side (coming from gas tank).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Metman; 04-07-2021, 07:30 AM.
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

From my research if one is running an electric pump then a 100 micron filter before the pump, in between the tank and pump, then a 10 micron filter before, and as close to, the carburetor. It's that simple.

Edit.: Just had to add that this is the setup I use and it's not just theoretical research.

Comment

Mine is fitted with a metal filter under the car instead of a plastic one, to better survive a stone/rock impact.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I've only got a sintered bronze fuel filter about half way between the electric pump and carb. It's been working fine that way for five years. But, my tank is sterile, no rust or crap and never had any. Any junk would have to come out of the gas pump.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Felix, I think I had heard about using a 100 micron before and 10 micron after from an episode of Roadkill, of all places!

Anyone have ideas on a filter with a 1/8" NPT inlet and outlet..?
          I even called Purolator yesterday and they couldn't come up with one. I've seen that some of the fuel pumps actually come with a filter with this configuration. Wonder what they expect you to do when you need to replace it?

If not that, how about with a 3/8" hose inlet and 1/8" NPT outlet? Easy to find some with 5/16" hose inlet, but would need to tighten clamp down more on 3/8" hose, or stretch 5/16" a bit more at gas tank fitting. Guess either of those are 'okay' options..
          -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
          1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

For an under car filter I would prefer a replaceable spin-on cartridge type filter. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15170/10002/-1
            AL SORAN RACING

Comment

I use this on the suction side of my Mr Gasket 3-5 psi unit, hose from tank to filter, threaded into the pump directly. This protects the pump itself.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Gasket...ctedSellerId=0

I’m running a pleated filter before the 1-bbl Carter carb, just for added protection. The basic clear plastic + yellow pleat units found at all autoparts stores, most common on air cooled VWs. The setup all works great.

Comment

NCDave51 that is one of the filters I'm considering going with. It's available from most all of the filter manufacturers (under various model #s). The NOS filter I have is a Fram G22, which is basically the same thing. Would you recall, if you are using rubber hose from your tank to the filter inlet, if you are using 3/8" or 5/16" hose? Thanks!
                -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Metman View Post
                  NCDave51 that is one of the filters I'm considering going with. It's available from most all of the filter manufacturers (under various model #s). The NOS filter I have is a Fram G22, which is basically the same thing. Would you recall, if you are using rubber hose from your tank to the filter inlet, if you are using 3/8" or 5/16" hose? Thanks!
                  5/16” if I recall

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
                    I’m running a pleated filter before the 1-bbl Carter carb, just for added protection. The basic clear plastic + yellow pleat units found at all autoparts stores, most common on air cooled VWs. The setup all works great.
                    In the air cooled VW world those filters are a NO NO ! They are however commonly found there. The last place you want to see one is in the engine compartment or near any heat. They tend to melt, deform and leak, then fires start.

Comment

Originally posted by Metman View Post
                      Anyone have ideas on a filter with a 1/8" NPT inlet and outlet..?
                      The sintered bronze filter I'm using has 1/8" pipe fittings on each end. It has an aluminum housing that screws together with the bronze inside. I bought it on E-bay, very cheap. It originally had hose barbs on each end. I don't remember if it was 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" barbs, they come all three ways. I just cut off the barbs and drilled and tapped it for 1/8" pipe. I originally had fittings on it to screw into the hard line, but have moved it out of the engine compartment to get away from the heat, and now have a brass barb screwed into one end to go into a rubber line. I've seen glass tube filters that came with 1/8" pipe fittings for each end in years past, and have them on a couple cars, but haven't noticed them in the stores lately.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1099a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	1889324
                      (If you recognize the location from in pic; yes, the fuel filter is now where the master cylinder is supposed to be. The master is now on the firewall, with a swing pedal in the passenger compartment behind the dash.)
                      Last edited by bensherb; Yesterday, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post

In the air cooled VW world those filters are a NO NO ! They are however commonly found there. The last place you want to see one is in the engine compartment or near any heat. They tend to melt, deform and leak, then fires start.
                        Fully agreed.

Comment

The Carter from SI that I just bought came with a metal filter in the inlet side
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks again for the responses.

So I found a metal filter with 1/8 NPT inlet and outlet. Here is an Airtex G-17, with 300 micron (according to info in Q&A) stainless steel filter:
                            https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-G-17-a...omotive&sr=1-1

However, and not to be a CASO, but it's over $21.00. For $5-$10 more it's included with some of the Airtex pumps! Maybe I should have just purchased an Airtex pump that comes with it instead of the Carter. Oh well.. If I find a reasonable cross reference I'll follow up with that info.

Click image for larger version  Name:	81WU4oFv-KL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	1889522

I'm also waiting on delivery of an AC Delco GF434 that is listed (in some places) as having a 3/8" hose inlet. I'll report back if that is true or not (I'm betting it's 5/16"..).

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-GF434...omotive&sr=1-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	61v9lCSpodL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1889523
                            Last edited by Metman; Today, 07:15 AM.
                            -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                            1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                            1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

That first filter looks like the one that came with my Carter
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X