No announcement yet.

DG250M installed, but........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: DG250M installed, but........

So with Covid and our house remodel it has taken over a year to replace the DG200 in the 51 Commander with a DG250M. In doing so it gave me a chance to replace the engine oil pan seal. It leaked there. I replaced the Transmission pan gasket also. Gear selector works. Shifts through all the gears. Have not road tested yet but works on the stands.

There is one problem, I think it is leaking where the speedometer cable bolts in . I figure I can seal that but there seems to be transmission fluid leaking out of the speedometer cable case where it dips down by the engine. Can that even happen? What could cause that?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The Number One answer is probably Overfilled Transmission, which often happens when the Torque Converter drains into the Pan.
    The cause is usually a worn Front Case Bushing.

Of course you CAN check to be sure that SLOW idling in LOW, Wheels blocked, the Level IS on Full and no more.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I refilled it according to the manual. I did not have the speedometer gear in and it leaked there. Once I install the gear it fixed it.
      51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
      53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
      X