Turn Signal Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn Signal Wiring

Hey all - currently working through a rewire of a 1961 Hawk and would like to run some new wires through the steering column for the turn indicator. Doesn't make sense to rewire everything and leave these old ones in place!

Steering wheel is off (took it off to remove the dash and get all the gauges rewired) and I'm trying to figure out how to get to the plate where all of the wires connect. I've removed the bolt and 2 screws on the left side of the attached picture but nothing immediately wanted to come loose - my guess is it is just age, but I didn't want to "insist" too much and break something, so I thought I'd double check. I went ahead and put everything back so I wouldn't lose anything or forget placement.

Basically, if I remove that bolt in the center of the little actuator arm on the left, and then remove the 2 little screws on the assembly that arm rests on, do I just need to work to get that assembly pulled off, or do I need to do something else? I know once I remove that center bolt, the indicator arm itself comes out of the column. Also, when I got in there, only 1 screw (the top one) was in place - the other one was resting in the bottom of the containing assembly. Am I correct in assuming there would actually be a 3rd one, in the middle, typically? If so, I'll find the proper one and get it all fixed up while I have the wheel off.

Thanks everyone!

This is how I always do it, others may just pull the turn signal switch out but I always keep it screwed down to the top round metal piece to keep from possibly breaking the plastic piece. Remove the two nuts, one at 12:00 and the other at 6:00. Then you can pull the top round metal piece off, and the turn signal switch and wires will come out with it. I normally tape a strong piece of string to the bundle of wires down near the bottom of the column and pull the string up thru the column, then untape it. Then when everything is put back together, you can use that string to pull the bundle of wires back down the column.

I'm sure others will chime in on how they do it.
    Last edited by r1lark; 04-04-2021, 02:57 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It's been a while since I've had my steering wheel off but best I remember .Take all three screws out. Remove the signal arm. Wiggle the center section up. Now you can acces the wiring harness. There are screws that have a J hook on the lower end,but I don't remember how they play into the picture.
      Marshall

Comment

Working...
      X