No announcement yet.

J-4653 Governor wrench needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read the answer carefully and you will see only 2 leads!

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
      Thank you all,when I remove it is there any way to test it, the book says to just replace.
      I haven't messed with the one on my GT yet, but the one on the Willys had a bad contact and was oily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Leak Governor 004_zpsmudijgbg.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1888468

Comment

Thanks again all, this has been fun, I took it apart as instructed, cleaned it and cleaned all contact points,then tested on the bench and it appears to work just as instructed. Better stop and join the wife for easter dinner. HAPPY EASTER to you all.

Comment

The governor in my car was contaminated with oil. After I cleaned it and made sure the points were good it worked fine.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

jetboat , one-word titles are frowned upon. I've edited your post title; please be more descriptive in the future. Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

So, when the OD lever is pushed in,shouldn't it go into free wheel when you get passed 35? I can not achieve free wheel at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=jetboat;n1888615]So, when the OD lever is pushed in,shouldn't it go into free wheel when you get passed 35? I can not achieve free wheel at all. [/QUOT

Nope. Free wheel UNDER 30 MPH. No free wheel over 30 MPH after governor closes, solenoid energizes and driver lifts foot from accelerator for a second. Then overdrive and 25 MPG .

Comment

Sorry my mistake, free wheel below 31. I don't free wheel so I suppose I will have to pull the trans. Apart.

Comment

Before you do that, just make sure the lockout lever on the side of the trans goes all the way to the rear when you push the knob in. Otherwise the overdrive will stay "locked out". It is easily possible that the cable is out of adjustment.

Comment

Yep I just checked that and it is all the way against the case.

Comment

Yep I just checked that and it is all the way against the case.
                        For testing purposes, I would remove the fuse on the OD relay in case the transmission is going into OD at zero speed due to a shorted governor or other electrical issue.

Comment

Thank you all,when I remove it is there any way to test it, the book says to just replace.
                          These can be tested on a distributor test machine (Sun, Allen, etc). I can't remember if there may be a specific adapter that is required.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                          X