Can you make a 259 into a 289 with onle a crankshaft change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Can you make a 259 into a 289 with onle a crankshaft change

Can you make a 259 cu into a 289 cu with only a crankshaft change ? The pistons are the same as the bearings also are the same. The difference is a slightly longer stroke? Any info on this type of change for more cu.inches ?

Pistons are not the same. 289 pistons have a shorter compression height than 259's, and have a dish, except for R1 pistons. And you should rebore the block anyway.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I agree with gordr, You can use the same rods and bearings, but you cannot use 259 pistons with a 289 crankshaft and if you are changing pistons, the block should be bored as well. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        I agree with gordr, You can use the same rods and bearings, but you cannot use 259 pistons with a 289 crankshaft and if you are changing pistons, the block should be bored as well. Bud
        Well, you can use the 259 pistons with a 289 crankshaft...
        But the compression ratio would be about 3 to 1 (or less) and probably would not even start, but...you could put it together.

Mike

Comment

If 289 pistons have a shorter compression height than 259's then wouldn't the longer stroke 289 crankshaft push the pistons up into the combustion chamber (i.e., the head)? Or, is my thinking muddled (as sometimes happens).

Remember that the rods are the same for 259 & 289 (as has already been stated).
          -Dwight

Second thoughts: The compression height on a 289 piston has to be shorter, with the same rods, to keep the 289's pistons from slamming up into the combustion chamber. So, a 259 piston won't work with a 289 crankshaft. (Thinking getting a little less muddled now.)
          Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 04-03-2021, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Compression height is the distance from center of wrist pin bore to top of piston. Deck height is the distance from top of piston at TDC to top of block.
            Last edited by Dwain G.; 04-03-2021, 08:50 PM. Reason: Correcting my typos, thanks Brad!
            AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Generally Compression height is measured as the centerline of the piston to the top of the piston.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I prefer to say: "the Wrist Pin Location moved", solved the whole issue done, they don't Work!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post

Well, you can use the 259 pistons with a 289 crankshaft...
                  But the compression ratio would be about 3 to 1 (or less) and probably would not even start, but...you could put it together.

Mike
                  NO NO NO!!! Mike, you're looking at this backward. You can only do this if you want the pistons to bang into the head. Not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    It would also be a good idea to have the engine balanced.

Comment

Working...
                    X