No announcement yet.

Unknown engine - what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Unknown engine - what is this?

Ok ,I have purchased a 2E5 1956 pickup, with miss matched parts. Need to verify parts for the future reference. See pics. Below for engine and trans. #

Comment

It has Both a CAR Engine AND Trans.

UPDATE: I downloaded our V8 Engine I.D. PDF Chart from the SDC Home Webpage, Links that can no longer be read on the Website and identified your engine, it is a 1958 Commander 259 CAR Engine.

If that T86-E Trans. is a Long Tail Trans. it would not be what was used in Trucks, but if installed properly with the correct Driveshaft Slip Joint it should work OK.

The correct Trans. would be the H.D. T-85 Std. or Overdrive, but with a Short Tail with a Bolted Yoke connection to the Driveshaft, NOT a Slip Yoke.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-02-2021, 01:36 PM. Reason: Reason: Added Engine I.D. from PDF Chart, etc.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That Engine could be a good one with good seating Valves and little Cylinder wear with good compression, possibly rebuilt.

My concern would be WHAT Clutch Housing was used, and was it dialed-in to the the Engine/Crankshaft?

In order to get the Truck Engine Mount BRACKETS to fit the Engine into the Truck properly, you need a Truck Clutch Housing. And then would it fit the Bolt Pattern on the Trans. which could be the Square Pattern or the Later Ford pattern with the Lower Right Hand Bolt more outboard.

If the whole package is all stock '58 Car THAT would be a problem.
        StudeRich

Comment

Thank you, it has the bell housing with the mounts,there is no trans mount and does have a slip yoke

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I downloaded our V8 Engine I.D. PDF Chart from the SDC Home Webpage, Links that can no longer be read on the Website ...
            Still reading it here in Pennsylvania. On Windows 10 and Firefox browser.
            Maybe it's just a Pacific Northwest issue, or a server, PC or smart phone issue.

https://studebakerdriversclub.com/wp...tification.pdf
            Last edited by rockne10; 04-04-2021, 02:01 PM.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My Desktop PC is running Windows 10 with Firefox Internet Browser and the PDF's always go to "Downloads" to be read or Saved, but cannot be read from the Website.

One of my "Systems" must be the cause.
              StudeRich

Comment

My Desktop PC is running Windows 10 with Firefox Internet Browser and the PDF's always go to "Downloads" to be read or Saved, but cannot be read from the Website.

One of my "Systems" must be the cause.
                I have a laptop with Windows 10, but not Firefox, and have no problem going from the Forum to engine listing and back.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

I have a laptop with Windows 10, but not Firefox, and have no problem going from the Forum to engine listing and back.
                  So Internet Explorer, Gary?
                  StudeRich

Comment

I'm using Firefox with Windows 10 on my PC.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

OK Brad, do the PDF's Open by just clicking them or not?
                      If they do with the same setup as mine, it must be some setting I have set, or a Spam Blocker.

It happened to me when they completely Redesigned the SDC Webpage, not Forum related.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Microsoft Edge
                        Last edited by studegary; 04-05-2021, 04:20 PM.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK Brad, do the PDF's Open by just clicking them or not?
                          If they do with the same setup as mine, it must be some setting I have set, or a Spam Blocker.

It happened to me when they completely Redesigned the SDC Webpage, not Forum related.
                          They do.
                          I open the SDC site, go to the Resources drop down menu, select tech tips, then scroll down to whatever it is I'm looking for; mouse click on it and it opens. I'm also on DSL from Verizon so your server speed is probably faster than mine as well.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            They do.
                            I open the SDC site, go to the Resources drop down menu, select tech tips, then scroll down to whatever it is I'm looking for; mouse click on it and it opens. I'm also on DSL from Verizon so your server speed is probably faster than mine as well.
                            Me, too. Windows 7 on an old desktop, and Windows 10 on a newer laptop. Chrome on both. Opens like any other website.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Back to the subject at hand:
                              Since this a car engine, the water pump manifold housing will need to be changed to prevent you from going to extreme lengths to get it to work properly.
                              I did the extreme length thing, and it's probably not worth the headache.
                              Essentially on a car engine, the fan becomes too low in the engine bay.

Comment

Working...
                              X