Avanti power windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti power windows

Has anyone ever come up with a good alternative to the stock power window setup in the Stude Avanti? I cobbled Dorman motors onto the regulators, but they're really not satisfactory. I had the regulators out, cleaned and gently lubed and tried new motors meant for my car but they just didn't have the horsepower (?) to lift my windows. Thanks!

I had to replace the right side window motor in my 63 Avanti a few years ago with a motor I got from Studebaker International. The windows in both doors of my car work fine. I lubed everything with Lubriplate. If the correct motor doesn't function properly, then there could be an alignment problem causing the glass to bind, lack of lubrication or low voltage to the to the motors due to corroded or loose connections. Bud

Comment

Has anyone tried the Nu-Relic power window conversion kit?

https://www.nu-relics.com/category-s/545.htm

One thing I would worry about with these is whether the original Avanti PW switches will work with the Nu-Relics.
      -Dwight

Comment

I have used the Nu-Relics a couple of times. They are ok, but not a whole lot better than stock. They need better mounting than just the pivot point, and 1 screw. I always add an additional support and screw into the motor flange. They have replacement switches for their regulators that look very close to Studebaker switches, but have chrome paddles. The nice thing is it eliminates the rats nest of wiring into the doors as the motors only have two wires, not 5 or 6 each. You need to look further into their website, and look at the Ford switches.
        Another option would be to use later Avanti regulator from the 80s as they too had refined the motors to just two wires and used Chrysler motors.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Converted my 74 Avanti manual windows to the Nu Relic units I bought from Bob Ziff. They work quite well.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....-Installation=

Bob

Comment

Very helpful info! Thanks so much. I will look into the Nu Relic system!

Comment

10 years ago, or so , I rewired my Power Windows with relays. I mounted the relays and the wiring to a panel that screws into the access opening. If you need to access what is inside the door, this panel unscrews and hangs down below the door.
              With this arrangement you get 12 volts directly to the motor without it going though the ignition switch . Another thing that can be done is to add a second spring.
              With these changes, my windows work just fine.
              If anyone is interested in the panel I made with the relays and wiring, I have a photo ........... not exactly sure where it is, but I know I have it and would send it to you or post it here if there is interest.
              John

Comment

My 63 Avanti was equipped with power windows from the factory and has a relay mounted on the left fender inner panel close to both the voltage regulator and the starter solenoid, so the factory knew that a relay was necessary for proper operation of the windows. The windows in my Avanti work well with the original wiring and and one original motor. Bud

Comment

Bud.............I'm not here to argue with you but the "relay" that you are referring to is not a relay it is a circuit breaker. A Service Letter was issued regarding this circuit breaker and the advice was to move the circuit breaker to inside the car as the under hood temperature was causing the circuit breaker to open and thus make the power windows inoperative, until the under hood temperature cooled down and the circuit breaker closed. To my limited knowledge, and looking at the wiring diagram , there are no relays in the power window wiring from the factory.
                  When I converted my factory power windows , to relays ,in my '63 Avanti, I moved the circuit breaker to inside the car as I was having the problem as I described.
                  The wiring conversion I described, using relays, requires two relays per door. One for UP and One for DOWN. Relays are cheap , unless you decide to use a Double Relay that is two relays in one. Getting that battery power directly to the power window motor, without going through the ignition switch, made a lot of difference in the operation of my windows. Adding a second spring helped even more.
                  John

Comment

Actually, Bud is correct, there is indeed a relay by the voltage regulator on Studebaker built Avantis. It's just that early cars also had the power to the relay through a circuit breaker that was mounted close to the relay. That circuit breaker is what was moved to the interior kick panel in the service bulletin as the engine heat in the engine compartment tripped the breaker easier. But the relay remained in it's original position.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Brad, Bud, I stand corrected. I was wrong regarding the existence of a relay in the power window circuit.
                      Thanks,
                      John

Comment

John, if you could find that picture of your relay setup I'd be much obliged!
                        When I rewired my car I remember being taken aback at the number of wires used in the window operation and I use a large, in-line fuse. If I don't go with the Nu Relic, I'll go the relay route. Thanks!

Comment

Does anyone know whether the wiring-harness makers (LarkWorks, etc) offer a separate wiring harness for the power windows for Studebaker Avantis? I have a '64 Avanti and would like to add power windows. I also have a set of doors off a '70 Avanti with power windows. By 1970 Avanti Motors had reinforced the fiberglass in that area. With the more reliable reproduction motors available now this would seem like nothing more than some work and would result in power windows with the engineering flaws corrected.
                          -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
                            John, if you could find that picture of your relay setup I'd be much obliged!
                            When I rewired my car I remember being taken aback at the number of wires used in the window operation and I use a large, in-line fuse. If I don't go with the Nu Relic, I'll go the relay route. Thanks!
                            I'll start looking for it. Stand by.
                            JB

Comment

I found the two photos................But I'm having difficulty posting them to this site and post. If you would send me a P.M. with an E-mail address, I can send them to you, with an explanation of what was done. Maybe you could figure out how to post them.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X