• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Originally posted by Rafe Hollister View Post
    Here is a picture of car and seller.
    Wow! The PO has modded the car almost exactly as I would, including removing the hood scoop (bulge).
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    https://talk.classicparts.com/attach...ual-pdf.23794/

The link above is one of the best manuals on the subject - written by the inventors! Around your year, the relay was eliminated and incorporated into the solenoid.

Never try to disengage the pawl/rod while the driveline is moving, not even in neutral, until the car is at rest. The cable simply allows the solenoid and pawl to engage the roller ring when the speed and inertia are right. By lifting your foot off throttle over the threshold speed, this allows the driveshaft to reverse the torque which forces the rollers to go up the ramps in the roller ring and engage the sun gear to complete the connection.

Again, while some of done it successfully we are cautioned never to pull out that cable until at rest.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Without knowing exactly how the PO wired the system, it's not possible to give an accurate answer. However, wiring in a switch to bypass the governor can damage the overdrive unit when reversing with overdrive still engaged.

The one thing you should know is he did it the difficult and unnecessary way. Many here have installed and driven floor shift conversions without any modification of the automatic overdrive system.

If it were my car, I'd use the Shop Manual to return the governor, solenoid and kickdown switch to the original configuration.

jack vines, who's occasionally modified the overdrive wiring to incorporate a manually operated part-throttle kickdown switch.
    Last edited by PackardV8; 04-02-2021, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    replied
    Here is a picture of car and seller.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rafe Hollister
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: Over Drive Questions

Over Drive Questions

I just bought a 56 PowerHawk, 259, 3 speed manual, with over drive. My car has been modified a bit, the 3 speed is now on the floor instead of the tree. And it has been bored .030 over (so its now a 263).
    I was told by seller that overdrive is accessed while driving by flipping a toggle switch, then pushing a handle in (looks a bit like an emergency brake). This seems to work fine and lowers RPM at 70mph from 4,000 to 2,000.
    But how do I get it out of overdrive? I flip toggle, then pull out handle out... but it doesn't come out right away. Seller said to do it at a stop. Can I do it while driving? Do I use clutch? Does it have to be in neutral? Does the order of flipping toggle and pulling handle matter?
    I have a shop manual, its very detailed about what the overdrive is, but doesn't offer info on how to actually use it.
    Thanks, Rafe.
Working...
X