X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
    Perhaps it is overkill on my part, my Lark already has V8 brakes, yet my soon to be driving daughter will be a new driver in an era where every nearly every automobile has power brakes as standard equipment, my daughter will never drive a car where she has to stand on the brakes to stop the car.

If spending a couple hundred dollars on power brakes for the Lark will approximate the braking action of a late model Taurus or Malibu, more the better.

If I need a vacuum canister I can drive over to Speedway

I only have the one child.
    Perhaps take her out and let her get a feel for what this car is capable of (as well as you getting a feel for her capabilities), on some sparsely populated roads, and make adjustments from there. While you can approximate the amount of pedal pressure needed for a normal stop, vis-à-vis a Taurus-Malibu, the actual performance is going to differ at the limits... antilock, stability control, different suspension geometry, all that stuff. Some older cars with power brakes will nearly launch you off the seat if you look at the pedal funny. My old Chevy Lumina has power assisted 4 wheel disc brakes, and they're anything but reassuring... Has been that way since new, and you have to STAND on the pedal to lock them up... common to early GM W-bodies. Though I haven't got many miles of driving on it, I can tell that my Lark V8 takes much less pedal pressure for effective stopping, even without a booster... though I'm sure the brakes may fade well before the newer car if abused. So. many. variables

Btw- I think it's cool that your daughter is going to have the use of an older car like this. Good on ya for allowing her the experience, as life is too short to make every trip in a grey blob with padded walls.

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Why not add Turner front disks, add a dual power booster, available in various diameters depending on what space you have. The larger will give you the most assist, but buy a dual not a single booster (https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Zinc-Dual...Cclp%3A2334524). A tank may or may not be necessary. For a Lark this should be plenty. If it is not enough boost you can add the auxillary vac pump I mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    replied
    Perhaps it is overkill on my part, my Lark already has V8 brakes, yet my soon to be driving daughter will be a new driver in an era where every nearly every automobile has power brakes as standard equipment, my daughter will never drive a car where she has to stand on the brakes to stop the car.

If spending a couple hundred dollars on power brakes for the Lark will approximate the braking action of a late model Taurus or Malibu, more the better.

If I need a vacuum canister I can drive over to Speedway

I only have the one child.
    Last edited by Jeff T.; 04-01-2021, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    Here, If you leave two car lengths between you and the car in front of you a car will pull into it, regardless of the speed at which you're traveling.
    So true! This situation is so bad that during heavy traffic one sometimes ends up going backwards. On the Washington beltway, during rush hour, one has to enter the beltway one exit after the one you want. Then you will end up at the exit you want.
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Vacuum shouldn't be an issue, unless as mentioned above you have a hot cam with a lot of overlap. Adding a booster to a Lark is easy due to the firewall mounted master cylinder.

Acceptable braking power is dependant upon traffic. What might be fabulous braking in the wheat fields of Kansas, might be horrible braking in the traffic of L.A. Here, the standard V8 brakes on my Hawk, though everything was new, prooved to be only marginally acceptable. Before going to disk brakes I moved the master on my Hawk to the firewall and added a booster. It's vacuum hose goes directly to the intake manifold.

Even with the late V8 finned drum brakes, with everything new and stock, without the booster stopping power was marginal for todays traffic. Here, If you leave two car legnths between you and the car in front of you a car will pull into it; regardless of the speed at which you're traveling. Adding the booster, made all the difference in the world. If they can stop on a nickel, you have to be able to stop on a dime, a quarter won't do! Remember, finding a rear bumper and tail lights for a late model Honda, Toyota or Hyundai is easy and cheap, a front end for a for a Studebaker, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Most any gasoline engine with a stock cam will develop enough manifold vacuum for power brakes. Pretty sure that the one liter 3 pot Geo Metros had power brakes as standard equipment. There's usually enough of a reserve capacity for a couple more brake applications built into the vacuum booster itself, with a check valve to hold that in in the case that the engine stalls... or you somehow feel the need to stomp on the binders while you have the accelerator matted.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Ross View Post
    Closed throttle vacuum on a six or on a v-8 is the same, about 18 inches Hg. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. You can take the vacuum off any convenient port on the intake manifold.

Of greater interest is why power brakes would be necessary on a Lark VI. I have several and they all brake quite easily.
    Yes there certainly are ways to improve braking without More added weight, expense and work.
    There is New improved Premium Material for Brake Linings far Superior to Cellulose to actually GRIP, and there is always the 11 Inch Front, 10 Inch Rear V8 Option.

Leave a comment:

• rbisacca
    replied
    No 6 cyl Studebaker and most 8 cyl do not need PB. Before I went to the trouble of adding an unnecessary item I'd make sure the brakes are in good condition.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Closed throttle vacuum on a six or on a v-8 is the same, about 18 inches Hg. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. You can take the vacuum off any convenient port on the intake manifold.

Of greater interest is why power brakes would be necessary on a Lark VI. I have several and they all brake quite easily.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I sure would not think Power Brakes would be needed even for a Lightweight Girl, in a Lightweight Six with Saginaw Recirculating Ball Steering!

We have a Chapter Member up here who owns a '62 Lark VI with Power Brakes and we knew the Original Owner.
    Inside the Left Front Fender there IS a Vacuum Tank.

That IS correct, they were an Option on all Models.
    Vacuum Tanks were an extra precaution for School Buses etc. where you could not risk an Engine Failure, or out of Fuel and inadequate Vacuum to Safely Stop from speed.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-31-2021, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    replied
    Here's the odd thing, if you go through the power brake section of the 59-64 parts book, there are plenty of notations for 62S/62V in the brake booster section.

There is a couple of pictures from a PB installation on a 63 two door sedan with an OHV six on the Studebaker Info page, in one picture the vacuum hose goes over to the manifold side of the engine. Does it go to the vacuum fitting on the intake manifold, I have no idea. Do I just get the V8 chuck and make it work?

My daughter is waiting for me to make improvements, She has wanted to drive my Lark since before kindergarten

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    You can add some boost to your setup using this approach. The pumps are readily available used on ebay as are the vacuum switches. I installed on on my Hudson:

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/tech...acuum-booster/

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    The 6's did not have a vacuum port for power brakes, because AFAIK, you could not get power brakes unless you had a V8. Can it produce enough vacuum? Probably, as long as the engine is in good condition. I know that older 6's had a fuel pump with a vacuum pump incorporated for windshield wipers while climbing hills and vacuum is low, but you should have a check valve in the vacuum line to keep some vacuum in the booster.
    Now if you have this too-hot cam in an OHV 6 like I do, all bets are off.

Leave a comment:

• Power brakes and necessary vacuum from an ohv six

Good afternoon

I so far have managed to find a stock Studebaker power brake bracket for a Lark and I figure I can run over to Speedway for a new booster and Lincoln Clutch and Brake to replace my leaky master cylinder but my looking through the parts manual has me wondering.

My 62 Lark is currently an OHV 6, which isn't bad or puttering around town slowly. After looking through the parts book with illustrations of a vacuum canister I wonder if my trusty six can generate enough vacuum for the power brake booster. I also noticed that there was not a fitting listed for vacuum off the intake manifold (that I could see)

So, does an OHV six generate enough vacuum for power brakes or will I need to add a vacuum canister or some kind of vacuum pump?

Thanks in advance

Jeff T.
Working...
X