289 c.i. clutch substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 289 c.i. clutch substitute

The 327 C.I. chev (there I said it!!) clutch disc is supposed to be a "drop-in" replacement for the Stude' 289 10 1/2 inch clutch disk - the dimensions do match up. However, there is also supposed to be a pressure/cover plate that can be used (with minor modifications, grinding off some O.D. tabs, as I recall). The Stude' sources seem to be "rebuilt" units - the present rebuilt unit lasted less than two thousand miles and local shops will not warranty the installation of any rebuilt clutch pressure plate.

Does any one have the plate source and modification info or a source for that info?

Thanks for any and all help provided,

PaulK

Just get the Proper 289 10 1/2 Inch Pressure Plate, a Standard Borg and Beck Coil Spring & Lever Type, and 10 Spline Disc Fits Dodge and Chevy.

My experience has been just Opposite of yours, a "Good" local rebuilder Pressure Plate has been MUCH better than a NEW, Offshore POC "Zoom" or other.

I could see how a Rebuilt Disc could be a problem, but a Pressure Plate is a Pressure Plate, they Last Decades!

Are you looking for a GM Type Diaphragm Clutch?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-31-2021, 04:53 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would note that if going to a (superior) GM-type diaphragm clutch that it isn't just a bolt-in installation. I haven't done it but my brother has. He had to remove some material (i.e., iron) from the inside of the bellhousing.

Once done it works well.
      -Dwight
      Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 04-01-2021, 05:33 AM.

Comment

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....re-plate/page2

Comment

I used Fort Wayne Clutch to rebuild the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing for my 1951 Ford F1. I have been happy with it so far-1500 miles of mostly city driving. They have a great reputation.

https://fortwayneclutch.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hulleywoodworking View Post
            I used Fort Wayne Clutch to rebuild the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing for my 1951 Ford F1. I have been happy with it so far-1500 miles of mostly city driving. They have a great reputation.
            https://fortwayneclutch.com
            Interesting, their Website shows: 0 Studebaker, they ARE in Indiana!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Interesting, their Website shows: 0 Studebaker, they ARE in Indiana!
              They can rebuild your existing; that's what they did for me.

Comment

I have that "Corvette" pressure plate that requires a "roller T/O bearing that I used for less than 1K miles in my 289 Champ truck many years ago. Perhaps too coslty to ship to CA.

Comment

Was only able to find British car listings for Borg-Beck - but will search again.

And yes, shipping charges have increased dramatically over the last two years - Have stopped advertising excess Stude' parts due to added shipping costs.

Thanks to all replies,
                  PaulK

Comment

Check the hub diameter on the GM clutch disc. It might be larger than the flywheel center opening. And the clutch will not release. Been there.

Comment

Working...
                    X