Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1963 Avanti R1 Water Manifold - stripped water pump thread. sigh

Hey fellow money pit owners,

So .. doing some work on the '63, taking care of a part I broke about 25 years ago (yungndum), then opened pandoras box. Years ago I was removing the water pump pulley and it wouldn't come loose, in a stroke of stupidity I decided to pry on it - DO NOT DO THIS. So I bent the pulley in the process and it would wobble. So to continue with my trend I decided to straighten it by hitting the pulley - DO NOT DO THIS. The pulley is cast iron and mine broke off a chunk of the belt rib on the outside. I got it to wobble less (sigh) and since I have an R1 the outer pulleys aren't used - so I put it off.

Its always bothered me, I have been looking to add a Paxton, so I located a replacement NOS pulley and went to install it. It wouldn't fit because my old pulley had an internal chamfer and this one didn't. My water pump has a weld at the base of where the pulley sits, a machine shop fixed that for me. After putting on the pulley I notice the new pulley doesn't line up with the crank pulleys. Apparently its been like that forever, I just didn't pay attention. In looking at the water pump I see its NOT an R-series pump! No long nose, no three ribs. I had a used one in my extra parts from my '60 Hawk (RIP), I measured the two pumps and R-series is a wee bit shorter. So off comes the old pump and on goes the new oneeeeee .. NOPE! Lower passenger side screw just keeps spinning and threads came out on the bolt. I hadn't even put any effort into it.

So .. story time is over .. anyone dealt with this and if so .. what was your solution?

Cant drill it out, since the water pump uses those bolt washer seals. Its a through hole, so I'm not sure about a heli-coil. I was looking at threaded inserts, but just not sure.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

I would use a helicoil and when you are installing the helicoil put red loctite on it , Then let it set for a day or two then chase it with the correct tap, Gently ! , Ed

Comment

Helicoils are the way to go. I have successfully repaired several water manifolds, Avanti as well as others, in this manner. The copper washer on the pump bolt provides the seal.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Sounds like we all agree on a helicoil!! I wonder if they sell in stainless. I was also thinking loctite, not red, but sure, why not red?

Thanks for the input, it's good to get reinforcement on a solution.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Use a 5/16" USS blind nut for wood. Grind the spikes off the backside. Size up the stripped hole for an interference fit with the blind nut and then pull the blind nut into the hole from the inside of the housing cavity with a 5/16-18 screw. Add some sealant to the blind nut before pulling it into place. The blind nut flange will not interfere with the pump impeller. Face off any of the blind nut threaded portion that is proud of the gasket surface. You now have a permanent thread repair with the correct threaded fastener. Works well!

Comment

Working...
          X