X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

For true, Bill. I wasted some of the best years of my young life in the retail tire business. Most customers don't want to know anything about tires beyond resenting spending any money at all on them.

My custom Avanti came with a set of fifty-year-old Dayton true knockoffs. They rusted the worst of any I've ever seen, so I sandblasted and painted them Avanti Gold body color. Having rusty wire wheels sandblasted and powder coated is a trick way to save them.

I also have a set of five Borrani true knockoffs which are also fifty years old and the chrome still looks great.

The downside of most wire wheels, especially the older true knockoffs, is they require tubes. The combination of steel rim, steel spokes, steel center, steel knockoff hub adapter and the tubes add up to being heavier than the hubs of hell. They're also more difficult to balance than modern aluminum wheels. Wire wheels are great for shows; terrible for ride and handling.

jack vines
    Any thoughts of selling the borranis?

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Gary,
    Absolutely stunning! And in my estimation, worth every penny (or rather dollar).
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    The Indy replica is looking grand! I saw a film the other day at the speedway museum where they had all 8 of the studie indy cars lined up....fantastic looking cars!

I had some Borrani Wires back when I had the 59 Ferrari. The hub was chrome plated, spokes plated and the rim was aluminum with the outer edge polished. I sent them to Dayton where they rechromed everything and installed stainless spokes. They even had the little sticker which said Borrani stuck on the hub like from the factory. The cost was about 250 each back in around 1990. I imagine they would examine your wheels and true them for a reasonable price if you have concern about their soundness. Mine were astonishingly light weight....also were 16".

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    So that's what you have been working on! I knew about it from posts but never saw a picture. Anyway it looks great Gary.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Ditto what Jack said. Just. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Absolutely beautiful, Gary! And worth whatever they cost.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• garyash
    replied
    I got my Rudge-style true knockoff wire wheels from MWS in England, had custom hubs made to fit the spindles and bearings of my 1929 President front axle and 1928 Commander GB rear axle. The weight really does add up, especially with 7.00-18 tires, tubes, and rubber rim bands (to keep the tube from rubbing on the inside of the spoke nipples). Plus, the knockoff spinner and brass hub cap add more weight. The hubs are each 8 lbs of 4340 steel. The wheels are powder coated gray over electrophoretic coating. I expect they'll last many years. I did have to go to a special shop, New England Wheel Service in Auburn, MA, to have the tires mounted and balanced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudge wire wheel-MWS.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1887711

Click image for larger version

Name:	Indy car front Aug2020.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1887712

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Lou,
    Thanks for posting that great link. Even though I am a wheel/tire nut in the industry for over 40 years, I too learned something. I currently own Tru-Spoke as well as Borrani wire wheels on Studebakers.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    For true, Bill. I wasted some of the best years of my young life in the retail tire business. Most customers don't want to know anything about tires beyond resenting spending any money at all on them.

My custom Avanti came with a set of fifty-year-old Dayton true knockoffs. They rusted the worst of any I've ever seen, so I sandblasted and painted them Avanti Gold body color. Having rusty wire wheels sandblasted and powder coated is a trick way to save them.

I also have a set of five Borrani true knockoffs which are also fifty years old and the chrome still looks great.

The downside of most wire wheels, especially the older true knockoffs, is they require tubes. The combination of steel rim, steel spokes, steel center, steel knockoff hub adapter and the tubes add up to being heavier than the hubs of hell. They're also more difficult to balance than modern aluminum wheels. Wire wheels are great for shows; terrible for ride and handling.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Lou,
    Thanks for posting that great link. Even though I am a wheel/tire nut in the industry for over 40 years, I too learned something. I currently own Tru-Spoke as well as Borrani wire wheels on Studebakers.
    My only quirky recollection regarding the Appliance Wires was the mandatory Appliance Roto-Lug wheel affixing nut and unique washer combination. They would be fairly difficult to obtain today, but not impossible.
    Your Avanti looks great.
    Cheers,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• evilhawk
    replied
    I really like the look of those cragar wire wheels. The thick spokes look very cool. Should look great on a hawk or avanti

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Looking at the True Spoke website, I see that the reproduction Cragar Star Wire wheels are still not yet available. I would love to have these on my GT Hawk.
    Star Wire 30 Spoke Wire Wheel by Truespoke Returning in 2021

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    You are welcome. I also took that information to the local tire shop which helped them understand why they had a hard time with them.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
    Some interesting information I found after the tire store told me about the difficulty of balancing my wire wheels.
    https://www.truespoke.com/frequent-wire-wheel-questions
    Thanks for posting that link.
    Even though I have no wire wheels (currently), it is a very good read, and I learned something new!
    To add my 2 cents worth.. I was taught a long time ago by a kind old wire wheel gent...
    (My high school dean, August Pasquini...during a lecture in his office about ditching classes and working on my Stude Hawk in the auto shop).
    He owned an MG TC ('52 iirc) and I asked him about tuning his wire wheels... Anything to change the subject away from the inevitable after school detention (we called it 'squish'... Don't ask me why I remember this <lol>)
    He told me he would regularly tap each wire with a screwdriver and listen to the tone. He could tell a loose one.
    I did this a couple years ago on John Sartorius's '59 Hawk. Didn't learn a thing <g>..

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    Some interesting information I found after the tire store told me about the difficulty of balancing my wire wheels.
    https://www.truespoke.com/frequent-wire-wheel-questions

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    I like the look of the wire spokes, AND the car. Not too many one owner Avantis out there. As far as the 200K on the wheels, if they balance fine, no slow leaks or vibrations, they must be fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X