Fuel pump doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pump doesn't work

Its any techniques to install fuel pump to studebaker 1948 champion .
    Because I installed and doesn't work . I try with my hand and it works .

You might not have the top of the actuator arm under the cam lobe. If the underside of the arm is contacting the cam lobe, it will not pump.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      You might not have the top of the actuator arm under the cam lobe. If the underside of the arm is contacting the cam lobe, it will not pump.
      So you mean I have to crank the engine until I get the the right position and then I can install the pump

Comment

As you insert the arm through the hole in the cam cover, aim the arm downward to get it under the cam lobe.
        sigpic

Comment

I once installed a fuel pump with the actuating lever on the wrong side of the cam and it broke the fuel pump in half.

Comment

Something else to check is the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump. It could be clogged or disconnected from the tank, or there could be an issue inside the fuel tank.
            Remove the infeed line from the fuel pump and loosen the fuel tank cap, then grab an air hose and blow air into the fuel line. You should hear gasoline gurgle from an insurgence of air in the fuel tank if all is well.
            sigpic

Comment

As you insert the arm through the hole in the cam cover, aim the arm downward to get it under the cam lobe.
              I will try it tomorrow . thank you

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                I once installed a fuel pump with the actuating lever on the wrong side of the cam and it broke the fuel pump in half.
                The first you brok it How about the second one How did you install it

Comment

The flexible fuel hose from the hard fuel line on the body to the line on the engine can crack and admit air. The crack can be small enough to not leak fuel, but still allow air to come in under suction. That will prevent the pump from pumping.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    The flexible fuel hose from the hard fuel line on the body to the line on the engine can crack and admit air. The crack can be small enough to not leak fuel, but still allow air to come in under suction. That will prevent the pump from pumping.
                    All the line I checked everything its ok .

I think the problemproblem don't know how to install the pump . I did install couple times but the pump didn't work . I think its little tricky to put in the pump I have to match it with crankshaft position.

Comment

The fuel pump lever on a flat head 6 should go on top of the cam as the lever is actuated upward and the spring returns it back downward. It will make life somewhat easier if the cam lobe is away from the actuating lever. Therefore turn the engine until the cam lobe is down or otherwise away from the actuating lever. If you managed to force the actuating lever under the cam lobe, it would most likely break the pump in half (voice of experience). If your fuel pump will pump by hand and it is installed correctly (it is most difficult to install it incorrectly) would indicate a vacuum leak in the fuel line it couldn't be any thing else. I went through the exact scenario and finally found a pin hole in the fuel line. The fuel pump would squirt fuel out 6 feet by hand but not pump in the engine. It only took one or two pin holes.

Comment

OPPS! This info is for a Stude. V8 if the "Cam Cover" is a Timing Gear Cover.
                        On a Six it's the Engine Block, and the lever goes ABOVE the Cam.

This happens a LOT since MOST of our discussions here actually ARE about V8's! I have caught myself doing that, after re-reading the Original Post.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

OPPS! This info is for a Stude. V8 if the "Cam Cover" is a Timing Gear Cover.
                          On a Six it's the Engine Block, and the lever goes ABOVE the Cam.

This happens a LOT since MOST of our discussions here actually ARE about V8's! I have caught myself doing that, after re-reading the Original Post.
                          I apologize to the original poster and to everyone else that read this, as I assumed that the fuel pumps on both engines were mounted the same way.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am even further happier to have deleted the pump and gone 100% electric on the Lark. Works like a charm.

I don’t know what is unique to the Studebaker situation but repro fuel pumps on my other past marques never seem to give the trouble I’ve read about here on the Forum. Risking fuel into the crankcase is something I never wanted to experience.

Comment

Corvair re-pop fuel pumps are sourced from the same supplier as for Stude' - They have experienced the same quality problems (as reported here and in "T.W." Co-Operator several years ago - do not know if their (Corvair) has found a more reliable source). That said, I have had one replacement (marked as "Carter" but actually an independent supplier) working for over a year after two had failed. A "pull-through" electric pump is used for starting and as an emergency back-up (if the mechanical pump's diaphragm has become defective, gas could be forced into the crankcase by the electric pump - not good).

Keep positive thoughts, Paul K

Comment

Working...
                              X