Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine swap

Has anyone put a Chevy 454 in a 56 C cab truck? Does it fit without any modification to the engine compartment?

There are mock up engines available for test fitting purposes. It's rather surprising how expensive they are, though.

Are you looking for mock-up engine blocks for sale? Visit Redline Stands to check and buy different types of engine blocks, plastic engine blocks, Mock-Up Engines, and more from our collection.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by olasar View Post
      Has anyone put a Chevy 454 in a 56 C cab truck? Does it fit without any modification to the engine compartment?
      Yes, a great many have.
      A friend of mine put a 454 in his 51 (Very similar to yours, size wise. PLENTY of room. Easy to get at the spark plugs, distributor, everything, without any cutting of the inner fender wells. That is a very large engine compartment. He even installed a Chrysler Volare front suspension, also without cutting the inner fenders. Well, he may have done some very light trimming around the upper control arm area, but that was the suspension, NOT the engine.
      A 70's 426 Chrysler Hemi will fit with no inner fender cutting.

Mike

Comment

The only drawback is balance with such a heavy engine.....of course not much different than a stude v8.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Another drawback will be that factory rear axle..... slap the gas once, and watch a rear tire pass you by.......

Comment

Back in the 70's I put a 396 and turbo 400 in a 52. Used the Hurst horseshoe type front mount. Around the same time I test drove a 51 with a Chrysler Hemi that a guy had for sale. Both engines had plenty of clearance . I had to modify the driver side fender well header on the 396 to clear the steering. It had a 4.88 rear end, I changed it pretty quickly to a 59 Ford 9 inch rear that fit with no mods

Comment

If you are going GM big block an option would be the king of torque the Buick 455! Last week if you caught it the guys at Roadkill Garage did a 455 swap in a 66 4dr Chevelle, and it was an easy drop in (well it was an A body GM so it would be easier than a Stude probably). However, it would be a more interesting swap than your std Chevy and perhaps cheaper as well. The Buick and Olds 455s are underrated in my book. https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?th...evelle.332048/

For my build in my 58 (with 56 grill) I am going big block Packard, bored out to about 400 Cu in, with FI.
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                If you are going GM big block an option would be the king of torque the Buick 455! Last week if you caught it the guys at Roadkill Garage did a 455 swap in a 66 4dr Chevelle, and it was an easy drop in (well it was an A body GM so it would be easier than a Stude probably). However, it would be a more interesting swap than your std Chevy and perhaps cheaper as well. The Buick and Olds 455s are underrated in my book. https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?th...evelle.332048/

For my build in my 58 (with 56 grill) I am going big block Packard, bored out to about 400 Cu in, with FI.
                I agree. I wouldn't put a chuv motor in my lawn mower. I am a huge fan of Buick and Cad motors. A 500 Cad weighs 60lbs more than a SBC, and a lot less than a BBC, some 150+ lbs less. Put a aluminum intake on the Cad, and it weighs pretty close to a SBC. Twice the HP and torque than a SBC, and will last forever. The Buick 455 is another great big block. Had a Stage One 455 in my 51 Ford F3. That's a 1 ton. I used to chain a SBC and a cast iron powerglide to the tailgate to get some traction, and would go out to the Saturday night street drags and mop up lots of "hot rods". Lotta fun! Blew the doors off, by a mile, of a SS454 pickup that a guy was test driving, with the salesman with him. I bet he didn't by the piece of crap.

Comment

455 Buick in a 52 Pickup on an S-10 chassis. This was built locally (Freeland Michigan) by an acquaintance of mine that sold it several years back. It drives and performs well. Even with the chassis change the pictures show the Buick fits comfortably.

I was surprised to see it for sale again but here are some shots and write up from the recent ad.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/stu...k-455-wow.html

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X