What rear springs are these? 1554568

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rear springs are these? 1554568

At York last year I bought a pair of rebuilt leaf springs. They were supposed to be for '53-54 C/K. I brought them home and observed that they didn't look anything like the springs on my '54 Commander Starlight, but they did look like Avanti springs. After removing the springs from my Avanti (with some effort), I see that the rebuilt springs have a lot more arch. Some of the difference might be accounted for by sag in my old springs, but not all of it. They will fit my Avanti and they will restore the original forward rake -- and then some. The part number on the rebuilt springs is 1554568, which is not the same at the number on the Avanti springs (and the number is not in the Avanti parts catalog). I wonder if someone with the right parts catalog can look up this number and tell me the application they are for--maybe a Lark wagon? I will probably try them on the Avanti in any case, but may have to remove them if they make the rear end too high or if they push the rear shackles too far to the rear. It will be an interesting experiment and I'll post the results. Thanks.

Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe, 3-speed w/OD
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R2, 4-speed (R4399)
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

quote:Originally posted by Pete R

At York last year I bought a pair of rebuilt leaf springs. They were supposed to be for '53-54 C/K. I brought them home and observed that they didn't look anything like the springs on my '54 Commander Starlight, but they did look like Avanti springs. After removing the springs from my Avanti (with some effort), I see that the rebuilt springs have a lot more arch. Some of the difference might be accounted for by sag in my old springs, but not all of it. They will fit my Avanti and they will restore the original forward rake -- and then some. The part number on the rebuilt springs is 1554568, which is not the same at the number on the Avanti springs (and the number is not in the Avanti parts catalog). I wonder if someone with the right parts catalog can look up this number and tell me the application they are for--maybe a Lark wagon? I will probably try them on the Avanti in any case, but may have to remove them if they make the rear end too high or if they push the rear shackles too far to the rear. It will be an interesting experiment and I'll post the results. Thanks.
    1554568 checks out to the standard duty spring for '62 GT Hawks. I didn't see any other application and the number for '63 and '64 Hawks is different.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Okay, thanks, Paul. I'll go back out in the garage and see what they do in an Avanti.

Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Well, as you might have guessed, the '62 Hawk springs won't fit the Avanti. The locating stud on the springs won't mate with the Avanti spring perches because the front half of the springs is maybe 1/2" too short.

So if anyone needs a pair of nicely rebuilt '62 Hawk leaf springs, let me know.

And I guess I'm in the market for a pair of rebuilt Avanti leaf springs.

The lesson from all this is: be sure to check part numbers before buying parts at swap meets.

Pete R
        Woodbridge, VA
        Pete R
        Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Pete I would not waste my money on "Rebuilt" Springs, the OEM Supplier Detroit Eaton Spring makes exact duplicates of any Studebaker Spring, Standard or H.D. made for the weight of the exact model, and they know the original Studebaker Part Number and specs. []

And for the difference in price you get what you paid for, not the same old fatigued springs back again with a temporary arc added!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I agree about rebuilt vs. new springs. Yesterday, I ordered new springs from Jon Meyer and he's going to bring them to York, where I will pick them up.

Pete R
            Woodbridge, VA
            Pete R
            Woodbridge, VA

Comment

Working...
            X