R3 Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R3 Air Box

For those of you with an R3 airbox.... could you please tell me where your vacuum advance is piped to FROM the distributor? I'm doing my final plumbing and that part is a bit of a mistery

R3 engines (i.e., distributors) do not have vacuum advances. R3 distributors have only a mechanical advance (because they are racing engines).
    -Dwight

Comment

I remember reading that R3s had mechanical advance only, but hadn't thought about what you would need to do to use an R3 air box.

So . . . if you switch to an R3 type air box, do you have to go with mechanical advance only? And, if you do, do you have to swap out the distributor? Are there other changes that should be made when switching to the big air box?

How would using mechanical advance only affect the way the car would drive?

Comment

thank you all for the reply...I must be getting old, because when we put the engine on the dyno, the dyno master looked at the vacuum line and said "that's gotta go because you don't need it". In the 2 months time since the dyno, I forgot that important fact! Thanks Dwight for your reply, as soon as I read it I recalled the original conversation. Now all I have to do is find where I left my car keys, or cell phone, or something else I put somewhere special that I wouldn't forget where I put it. Old(er) age sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by VtMike View Post
          I remember reading that R3s had mechanical advance only, but hadn't thought about what you would need to do to use an R3 air box.

How would using mechanical advance only affect the way the car would drive?
          I can't think of any situation where drive-ability would be affected. The vacuum advance advances the timing only in high vacuum conditions; i.e., when cruising at constant speed (or decelerating). So, it just improves gas mileage.

A side story: In the late 1960's I ordered a new R3 engine from Paxton Products ($715 I think, plus shipping). I then put it into my R2 Avanti. The gas mileage improved about one MPG. I never could explain that. But, the oil mileage went to hell. (The R2 had a vacuum advance; the R3 didn't.)
          -Dwight

Comment

Working...
          X