Wheel Cylinders / Brake Flex Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Wheel Cylinders / Brake Flex Lines

Refreshing the brakes on my 1962 GT Hawk, which are non-power. Are all four wheel cylinders (front and back) the same, parts book shows two different numbers. Are the flex lines in the front the same?
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

Front wheel cylinders are larger than the rears. The front hoses are same both sides, the rear flex hose is different than the fronts.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have to wonder WHAT "Book" are you reading. The Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog and our Vendor's Catalogs all State Front, Rear and Qty. with the correct Part Number for each.

https://studebakervendors.com
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich,
        A LOT of the manufacturers catalogs that I have "acquired" over the years, do not have the correct info on some of the Studebaker hose's. I catalog will list one hose (with fittings and lengths) another one will also list fittings and lengths, but BOTH are different! Even the fittings, The good news is, Studebaker did not use that many different hose ends, just a change of lengths on some models. The only reason I can think of is: They (manufactures) did give a rats tail end!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

that's funny, I ended up using late 60's mustang ones on the front of my '50 truck.....LOL

Correction.... Mustang Hoses... my bad. come to think of it, I may have used one in the rear too......
          Last edited by Corbinstein0; 03-23-2021, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbinstein0 View Post
            that's funny, I ended up using late 60's mustang ones on the front of my '50 truck.....LOL
            You can also put a saddle on a hog. With OEM style wheel cylinders readily available, at reasonable prices from our vendors, what is the advantage of making something else fit? Do the Mustang WCs work better? The OEMs work well, and kinda hard to improve on. But the shoe liners could be better. Of the two liners available, brownish with metal sintering, and blackish, the brownish work better but squeal. The blackish are silent, but are not even good candidate for a TQ, since they just don't grab as they should. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

You can also put a saddle on a hog. With OEM style wheel cylinders readily available, at reasonable prices from our vendors, what is the advantage of making something else fit? Do the Mustang WCs work better? The OEMs work well, and kinda hard to improve on. But the shoe liners could be better. Of the two liners available, brownish with metal sintering, and blackish, the brownish work better but squeal. The blackish are silent, but are not even good candidate for a TQ, since they just don't grab as they should. IMHO
              I assumed he was talking about the Mustang hoses. Not the wheel cylinders.

Comment

Yes Bensherb, you are correct, Mustang Hoses.....

Comment

But, as Rich stated, With all the Studebaker venders, one shouldn't have to support their local FLAPS store!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

correct. however in 1989, I didn't know the club existed, and had to support the flaps. at least then I may have received American made.

Comment

My fittings and hose comes from the USA, I crimp & test them in the USA!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

^+1 for Jim's - he makes them with fresh material.
                        Some stock at FLAPS have been sitting on the shelf beyond their recommended service life.
                        Andy
                        62 GT

Comment

Working...
                        X